Ntfs ssd...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QE2, May 25, 2013.

1. QE2 macrumors member

I've bought a optical drive to hdd caddy converter, and have already bolted the SSD into it, as I was eager to make sure it would fit together okay. My issue is that it still contains a Windows 7 installation on it (from it's previous life in my PC), and I would like to double check it's contents, without removing it from the caddy. Basically I don't want wear out the the connector, or it's captive screws!

If I just bolt it into my MBP, will I be able to boot into OS X and view it's contents okay? I know OS X can read from ntfs, but will it cause issues when trying to boot into OS X, and what kind of access will I have to it's contents once booted?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I doubt it'll cause issues. You'll have read access to the drive though you MAY have trouble reading data in the 'users' directory due to permissions.

3. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I'll cross my fingers hope...users is where downloads, docs etc are? That will be exactly where I'll want to check!

Also, I've been reading about setting up fusion drive, do you think it would be better than having just two seperate drives? ...can I do it with my mid 2010 C2D MBP13?

Is this worth buying; http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5499/hgst-travelstar-7k1000-1tb-2-5-hard-drive-review/index.html ? Basically, would it + my Crucial M4, be better than a the 750GB Momentous XT?

Lastly, I'm correct in think it's best to keep the HDD in the original spot, so as to keep the shock protection? I won't have hibernation issues with the SSD in the opti bay?

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I've had mixed experiences regarding accessing the Users directories on Windows computers. Usually I run into issues when "slaving" the Windows drive to a different install and trying to access the data. This is usually resolved by taking ownership of the files, which requires writing to the disk (which the Mac can't do as you know). On a different note, I often use a pre-boot environment to access data on corrupt machines several times a week and NEVER have an issue with permissions. I haven't tried it using the "slave" method from a Mac. And yes, docs downloads and such are in the Users directory.

As for the configuration. Your Mac doesn't have SATA-II speeds on the Superdrive connector, to get the best performance from your SSD you'll need to put it where the HDD is and put the HDD in the Superdrive slot. As for doing a roll-your-own Fusion drive, what version of OS X do you plan on running?

5. QE2, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Really, I'd read through all this, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347247

It's says both connections are sata-II in pre-2011 machines, and that it's best to keep the hdd where it is, for the shock protection; is all this wrong? I thought it was only if you had a 2011 model, where only the hdd bay has sata-III, that you should stick the SSD in the HDD bay (optibay has SATA-II)!

As for the version of OS X, that's easy...it's the latest.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My mistake, I thought the 2010 was the one not to put the SSD in the SD spot.

You SHOULD be able to do a Fusion setup, I'm not sure if there's a hardware restriction on being able to do it but you do need the latest OS X for it. There's a how-to posted elsewhere in the forum.

7. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Well, today my memory turned up, so now was the time to pop the hood and embark on the upgrade...

So far success! Although it felt tense ruffling around with the internals, and getting the memory out proved tough (it was very stiff), I've booted the machine up and all is good! Not only does it report 8GB RAM, but also that the sata connection to optibay (Crucial M4), is running at 3GB/SATAII i.e. 'Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit'! So all in all, I'm a rather happy bunny!

Another plus, is that I managed to access my Windows 'Users' folder, on the Crucial M4, and subsequently copy off the files I wished to save, on to a USB stick!

Only one question remains really, that is, I've made a Time Machine back-up of my whole system, and assume that I will be able to copy over individual files, rather than just do a compete restore? Basically I don't want to do full restore, as I'd rather start a fresh!

I've also decided to do a plain install, a I'd rather not mess up a 'Fusion hack'; that is unless you think it would be easy, and know of some good instructions?

8. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Anybody able to assist with the above questions; I'm sure there must be more than a few Time Machine veterans here...?

There must even be, one or two people that know something about setting up Fusion?!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I know next to nothing about Fusion, so can't help you there. But after you reinstall you can option click the Time Machine menu item an select "Browse other backup disks..." to see your data from the previous backup and from there move over whatever you want.

10. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, so I can go ahead and build a fresh install, and when I hit the desktop, I'll be able to right-click Time Machine, and just select "Browse other backup disks..."? Will it ask me for my previous system password, I would hope so!

I'm thinking I might skip Fusion...

...Big thank you for the help btw, that goes to you too hallux!

P.S. do you think I'll be able to select the optibay SSD as the install drive, and do I need to format the drive first, or wiil I be able to do that during setup...I will want to format both drives btw?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you will be asked for the user name and PW to access the Time Machine backups.

You will need to format and drive you install OS X and and yes you can select any drive as the destination for the install.

12. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Well, somewhat nervously, I went ahead last night with my system rebuild! In the end I did opt to go the fusion route; after watching this beautiful 'How To...' on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4NqbGEJpN4, I realised just how easy it was to do!

WOW, that's all I can say! This thing is like the bullet train now! I can't believe I sat on my SSD (in draw for 4-5 months) for so long (came out of PC, after 256GB upgrade), fearing about what would happen to my files! Seriously, before the upgrade things were taking excruciatingly long to open/boot, now it's instant for everything! It can't of helped that the old 5,400rpm hdd was linked at 1.5Gbps; the M4 is linking at 3Gbps

Only one question remains, sure enough I was able to access my old Time Machine backup, but rather than the files all being in there respective locations, i.e. pictures, music etc, they were all lumped together. This obviously makes it very hard to locate a file; is there a way to see them indexed in there correct locations? I must add, my heart pounds at the thought of clicking the wrong button...

Can I just say a big thank you again, your guidance helped big time, and the advice elsewhere on this forum has also proved invaluable!

13. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

...right, not all plain sailing after all... after I'd set up my system, pretty much the first thing I did was download Trim Enabler, and switch it on. It needed a reboot, but after this it showed as on; great I thought...! However, I then asked the system to sleep, and thought it was odd that it took about 45 secs for the light to start throbbing! When I tried to wake the system, it just displayed the login screen, and constantly pinwheeled... I had to do a hard shutdown!

When I powered the system back on, all I got was the chime, and a grey screen, no logo; nada, zip all else... I cycled it a few times before it allowed me to select a boot device.

I've now got Trim Enabler off, in fact I deleted it and all seems okay, but it's still taking 45-47 secs to sleep; does anybody have any advice?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The files look like that because they are normally managed by iPhoto and iTunes and not intended to be managed directly. What I would do it move the entire Music and Pictures folders onto the new machine then import all that into iTunes and iPhoto.

15. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

What I mean't was that the pictures and Music folders etc, are greyed out, i.e. I can't click on them. It's just one big pool of files sorted into file types...basically I can whizz through 100s of picture etc, but not view the folder "pictures"!?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think what you are seeing (the greyed part) is links to the folders and not the folders themselves. Give this a read to see how TM organizes the backups and maybe it will help you get to the right spot to see the real folder.

Are you able to get to other folders like the user Documents folder?

17. QE2, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013

QE2 thread starter macrumors member

I'll certainly give that a read through, and perhaps give it another go, once I know my systems stable. I spotted the option to transfer stuff when I was setting up, it mentioned using migration assistant later...?! To answer your question, I have to say I'm not sure, I'll have another look in a bit.

Right now, I'm a bit bothered about the long delay before my system sleeps. That, and the more worrying fact the sudden motion sensor (SMS) dosen't seem to be kicking in; especially annoying given it's the reason I left the hdd in the main bay! Maybe the heads are already parked, as it's not being used; unlikey but possibly!? :confused:

p.s., forgot to add, I've done a check using the command "sudo pmset -g", and can verify that OS X believe SMS is enabled; it's value was "1"

18. agaskew macrumors 6502

Is it just 'sleep' that is a bit slow, or disk operations in general?
    If it is just sleep you could try disabling hibernation to disk and/or time machine local snapshots.
    If it is disk operations in general, check your drives for errors in Disk Utility, and also double check all the cable connections to the drives. I know this means opening up the machine again, but we had one MBP with HDD and SSD installed that got slower and slower without actually showing any errors as such. The performance problems were eventually traced to a slightly loose connection on the HDD.

19. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it appears to just be sleep... Startup and shutdown are super speedy, and almost all applications open with one bounce. I ran blackmagic speed test and it was showing roughly 175-180W, and 260-280R... does that seem pretty fair for a Crucial M4, on a sata-II connection?

When I say sleep, I'm just talking regular sleep; I haven't had a hibernation yet, god forbid; I'd heard there could be issue with hibernation... come to think of it, I did read something about turning it off to improve sleep times; could you advise the best way to do this... Plus, do you think it's a big sacrifice to make?

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can still run Migration Assist, but let me caution you. If you run it now from your existing account and try to import data from that same account on the TM disk... you will get duplicate folders and a big mess. Migration Assist needs to import the entire account fresh to work properly.

You can still accomplish that by doing this:

1. Create a new temp account (call it whatever you want as we will delete it later).

2. Login to the temp account and from there delete your real, existing account (assuming here all your data is on the old TM backup).

3. Now still while in the temp account launch Migration Assistant and check all the boxes to import everything.

4. Once the import is done logout of the temp account and login to your real account that got imported with Migration Assistant.

5. Once you have confirmed everything looks good in your real account delete the temp account.

Done.

21. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

It's ironic, that the one process tailor made by Apple to be simple, actually turns out to be the hardest, most convoluted step of the lot! :rolleyes: I think I'll have to do a bit more thinking when I'm less tired... muchas gracias for the detailed steps; if I still can't figure it, I'll post again!

As an aside to that, my mbp now sleeps instantly; the sacrifice, I had to turn off hibernate... doubt it'll cause me many issues, I've usually got the machine tethered anywho! If anybody else want the command to turn it off; it's "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0", if you want to turn it on again, just swap the 0 for a 3. Big thanks agaskew ;)

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Migration Assistant works real well when you run it as part of the original new machine setup, but yeah... you are correct, it is a pain to do it afterwards. Apple should put a big warning when that migration screen comes up during setup telling you if you try to run it later you will be really really sorry you did! :D

23. agaskew macrumors 6502

There is a fairly straightforward explanation of how to do it HERE and some for/against arguments.