NTFS to FAT32

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by caligula357, Apr 13, 2007.

1. caligula357 macrumors member

caligula357

hi,
    i have an external hd that is currently 80gb, no partions, in ntfs file format.
    i would like to be ablr to write to this without using 3rd party apps on my mac, so have been looking at re-formatting the hd with partion magic to fat32.
    i have read that fat32 is bad for sizes above 32gb, and for fragmentation, but the hd would be universal full r/w with any computer system.

has anyone tried this before, as i don't really want to muck my hd up :(

cheers

:apple:

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

FAT32 can be formatted to sizes larger than 32GB easily, Microsoft just limited Windows from doing that to push people towards NTFS. If you want your drive to be readable and writable on both platforms without buying something like MacDrive, use FAT32. Just be aware that FAT32 can't store any individual file larger than 4GB.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It is definitely something to consider, but do you really have any files that big? I don't have anything even close. Maybe someone who edits video or something, but then you'd probably store that on HFS anyway.

While NTFS has numerous advantages over FAT32, Windows takes advantage of almost none of them. I recommend switching to FAT32 just because of compatibility.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Lots of files over 4GB. Video and other things. But mostly video. And sometimes you need to share that video with PCs. Stupid undocumented, un-licensable NTFS.

5. -Alan- macrumors member

You can format the drive to FAT32 with a Mac. I just bought an enclosure and a drive and had to format it. I was annoyed that the Admin tools in Windows XP only offered NTFS. Then I realized I could plug it into my MacBook and make it FAT32...so I did. :)

6. caligula357 thread starter macrumors member

caligula357

well, i suppose i may want to transfer something like a dvd iso or something that may be over 4gb, but very unlikely so i'll risk it and go with fat 32

:cool:

EDIT: can os x format a usb hd to fat32?

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You actually keep video on your hard drive that are larger than 4GB? I have a few clips here and there but nothing large. A quick search of my hard drive show the largest file I have isn't even 1GB.

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Absolutely, I have a number over 4GB. That's what made me initially switch my Linux file server to all Ext3 a few years ago. That's my solution by the way -- I store everything on a central file server and share it out on the network with Samba, that way any client -- Mac, Windows, Linux -- can access it.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Do you rip your DVDs or something?