NTFS under os X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by weipim, Dec 3, 2008.

1. weipim macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I would like to connect my ntfs formated external hdd to my mbp since there are a lot of important files. I wonder what's the main issue using third party software like FUSE to read/write ntfs files? Is there a big down on the speed? unstability? freeze up the system?

Thanks to all

and what is the best software for r/w ntfs hdd? thanks

2. hypmatize macrumors regular

I have been using macfuse ever since i got my mbp and i haven't had any problems that i could link to it. It has been working great. I say go for it and if you don't like the performance or anything like that just uninstall it

3. weipim thread starter macrumors newbie

thx a lot man

i think i'll give fuse a shot and see what happens next

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

make sure you install NTFS3g aswell as Mac Fuse.

5. weipim thread starter macrumors newbie

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

MacFUSE is just the framework for filesystem extensions. NTFS-3g is what actually provides the access to NTFS drives. You can't have NTFS-3g without MacFUSE.

7. weipim thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man

i'm trying to configure ntfs-3g through fink now, ahhh h the net is sooo slow tonight...

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

9. hypmatize macrumors regular

I have run into a slight problem... I can't seem to figure out how to uninstall macfuse (i don't need it anymore) when i looked at their website it said to go to sudo /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse-core.sh but for some reason i don't have the support sub directory so i can't run the script.... so i thought i would try terminal and uninstall it that way through sudo by typing /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse-core.sh it tries to uninstall everything but every thing it tries to remove it says permission denied... ( i am not even sure if going through terminal was the right alternative....) i also tried to enter su to gain full admin privileges but every time i put in my password it says sorry... unless it is not my login password and it is some thing else... (this is a brand new mac and i am the only user btw) I am new to macs as this is my first one but i am a bit familiar with terminal as i have used it with linux. oh yeah this the latest version of macfuse btw. I hope what i typed makes sense...:eek: any help would be appreciated

Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Is your main account an admin or standard account?

If your main account is an admin account ... stop ... create an admin account and change your main account to a standard one.

Then open Terminal and type the following (replace <your_admin_account> with your actual admin account):
    su - <your_admin_account>

Type the admin account's password not your main account's password when asked

Then type:
    sudo /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/uninstall-macfuse-core.sh

Enter your admin's password when asked.

11. hypmatize macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about a few things before i do this.
    1. So is this an ok way to uninstall macfuse...(through Terminal)
    2. When I make my main account a standard account can I bring it back to an admin account after I am done and delete the admin account that I made to uninstall macfuse with...?

And i was just about why i need a another account to do this. Is it because it is in the system files and can't be deleted by the account that created it?

thanks again for the help

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

isn't there another program called paragram or something that can read and write to NTFS drives?

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ Paragon NTFS for Mac is licensed software so i think open source should always be the go first.

14. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Ya I too use Paragon NTFS for Mac. It works absolutely wonderfully. And that whole "license" thing only applies too honest people ;) Which apparently I am not.
    I in no way indorse piracy or anything (for fear of being censored (again) by the mods :D)

Also, it is only $40 to actually buy, I think that if you really need your Mac to be fully functional like that $40 is not too bad (although if Paragon can do it, you would think that Apple could to, I'm just saying...)