NTFS vs. FAT for Windows XP Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jason123, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jason123 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I recently got a mbp and I am planning on installing windows xp via bootcamp onto it so I can play a couple computer games and run windows only software. I know there is a choice when partitioning the drive between NTFS and FAT, so which do you all recommend?

I know that FAT allows you to access files from either OS, but NTFS makes it so you can not (?). Is there any reason to even use NTFS if this is the case?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get MacFUSE to read and write to NTFS from OS X.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

FAT32 is a old and cruddy file system with limitations, as skil mentioned go NTFS with either MacFuse or paragon, that way you r/w access from OS X

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

NTFS all the way. FAT is Windows 98 tech. It amazes me it's still supported.

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Outdated, yes, but we've been using FAT with no problems.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

FAT32 has the limitation of 4GB per file.

By default, Macs can only read NTFS.

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Been quoted,thanks anyways

9. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

It what way is FAT 98 tech?

FAT 32 was released with Windows 95 OSR 2, I remember reformatting a machine I bought at the time so I could benefit from the improvements.

And earlier incarnations go back much much further!!

10. aki macrumors 6502a

my advice....

FAT32 is old and there is no reason to use unless you REALLY need to often read/write data from both win and osx.....u should used NTFS

if you need to share data u can consider a main NTFS partition and a smaller FAT32 just for shared data

for sometimes when you need to move things u can do macfuse or paragon or macdrive the other way......in my case i have parallels so i just use that to mount my NTFS drive when i need to

.....my own personal advice is....if u can organise your life so u do different task in each OS its much easier.....in my case i live and work in osx and only game in bootcamp

doing daily things in 2 oses is just wasting time unless u have to

good luck!!!

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I vote for NTFS. I've actually be able to PULL files from my NTFS windows partition in OS X, I just can't write to it...my external drive formatted in FAT solves that tho, just slightly tedious.

12. showtime macrumors 6502

NTFS unless you really need to write files from your mac partition to your windows partition but from reading what you want to do I wouldn't think twice about formatting it as NTFS

13. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Format in NTFS, you won't regret it. FAT32 is a pain in the butt when you've got files larger than 4 GB in size. Also, NTFS is faster in general.

If you ever get the chance, build a really cheap server, throw Ubuntu, set up Samba, and you've got yourself an awesome home server, perfect for sharing files. Hell, if you've got an old computer, you can do it already.