NTFS vs Journaled for External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CrazyMuttDesign, Feb 9, 2010.

1. CrazyMuttDesign macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am a developer and longtime PC user who recently made the move to a Macbook Pro. However, at work I am still in a PC (Windows 7) environment.

I have an external hard drive that I use on both computers to share files that I work on in both. It is formatted as an NTFS volume and I am using Tuxera on my Mac to simplify using the NTFS drive in a Mac environment.

Anyways, I am also a bit of a performance hound. So, my question is this:

Would I see any significant speed improvement using my external hard drive on my Mac if I reformatted it as a Mac Journaled volume or is what I am doing now just as good?

I know that if I do this, I will have to get a utility on my work PC that will allow me to read the drive, but I am more concerned with how it functions on my Mac than my PC.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To be honest with you I have never seen a noticeable difference between the two (I have a 640GB Ext formatted as such: 1 80GB NTFS Partition for PCs, 1 HFS+ for Time Machine, 1 Journaled for my Mac data). So I cant think it actually matters (Mine is used as a Scratch disc for Video editing btw, so its pretty intense work for an external :) )

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect that the speed of the interface and drive itself is far more important than the file system type.