Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hello,
I installed ntfs3g on my MBP and it seemed to be working correctly and I had write access to my usb disk.

While I was copying a large file to my disk, the disk was suddenly unmounted from OSX ( I had a warning saying that I should use proper unmount the next time).

I mounted it again but now I cant access the directory I was trying to copy the large file anymore. All the content of this directory is not there anymore.

When I try to access it via Windows, it says "Directory E:\Backup is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

... owned

What shall I do ? It seems that the other directories are ok. I'd like to recover the lost directory but I'm scared to screw up and lose everything.

Thanks for your help.

Tex

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
If you want to fix this you are going to want to do the windows machine. Do some google searching about running chkdsk on the drive. Also do some searching on google for recovering data form and NTFS partition. You should some across some software.

Hope that helps a little

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
oufffffff

I ran chdisk /f E::] in Windows XP as explained in here and it solved the problem :)

So it was a big fear for some minutes with a big relief.

Tex

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
oufffffff

I ran chdisk /f E::] in Windows XP as explained in here and it solved the problem :)

So it was a big fear for some minutes with a big relief.

Tex

Good to hear you got it figured out. I had to do the exact same thing to a HDD this morning as ones of the user directories was corrupt. I also had to do a similar thing to a server of mine running the reiser files system. The command for that was a little different but it essentially does the same thing.

Now what you need to do is try not to copy large files using NTFS-3g. I had it installed on my Mac a while back and it "worked" but i found that the larger the files got the 1) slower it went 2) the more likely the copy would fail. I never had a failed copy/unmount kill anything but i guess it never hurts to be lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.