"ntldr missing" - How do I abort a boot camp windows xp install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by davedev100, Jan 18, 2010.

1. davedev100 macrumors newbie

Computer: 2006, intel, Mac Mini core 2 single (the cheap one)

ATTN: I have an XP home reg. code (from old emachine) but no disc, and an XP pro disc but no reg. code:confused:

After upgrading from tiger to snow leopard (clean install) yesterday, I decided to install windows xp with boot camp so I could play some old games. I was able to create a 10gb partition (it wouldn't let me make a partition any bigger???) and when it told me to insert a windows disc, I inserted a system restore disc (1 of 2) from an old (now broken) emachine. Then I clicked the button to install, at which time it restarted, then it brought up something that read like "EMachine Restore Setup: press 1 to start restore, press 2 to open command line". The keyboard (usb) wouldn't allow me to select 1 or 2, but after a minute it would select 2 and bring up a command line.

After a few restarts I finally got the disc to eject by holding down the left mouse button (magic mouse - bluetooth).

Then, all I got when I booted was a minute of your typical grey boot screen (no apple icon) then the screen would go black.

A few restarts later, I decided: It is probably booting off of the windows partition I made and won't exit until windows is installed.

The plan: Install with XP pro disc, then shut down. Maybe OS X will realize xp is installed and allow me to boot in Snow Leopard, at which point I can use disc utility to delete the windows partition hence restoring the drive to full OS X capacity, then I will never ever attempt to install windows on a mac.

So, I get xp to format the partition, but when it goes to install, it says that repeatedly says that a file can't be installed (usually something like iexplorer.dll). Figuring these to be just for the internet explorer application, I tell it to keep installing. but after that happens 20 times, I decide to ditch that plan.

The plan (part deux): I will boot from the snow leopard disc (hold down "c") and under the utilities menu I will delete the windows partition, hence saving the day. And if necessary, wipe the hard drive and reinstall Snow leopard again (I did it yesterday, so I still have the backup on my external hard drive (firewire)).

but no dice: all that it will do when I boot is say "ntldr missing: press ctrl-alt-del to restart"

I've tried holding down option to select boot disc: nothing
    I've tried that ctrl-optn-o-f thing: zippo
    I've tried rebooting the thing so many times, that I can't count how many: 0

Help! I can't use my computer until this is fixed.
    At this point I don't care if there is windows on my computer or not.

Thanks for your help (or at least reading this very long post).

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

system restore disks won't work with bootcamp; you need a full disk or an OEM disk. What system is the windows disks from? It sounds like you managed to wipe the OSx partition.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Certainly what it sounds like, since that is what restore discs are supposed to do. It probably repartitioned the entire drive as MBR instead of GPT and deleted the EFI partition.

Since it has FireWire, I'd try target mode to remove Windows from another Mac, but it's entirely possible that since the "C" key doesn't work, "T" won't either... (Maybe because the EFI partition was wiped?)

B

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

"ntldr" is what windows uses as part of the initial system load process. IIRC, the bootloader is set to call ntldr to continue system loading.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I thought ntldr stood for something like "Nah, too long; didn't read."

6. davedev100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: "ntldr missing" - How do I abort a boot camp windows xp install?

Thanks for the responses. So if the partitions are erased AND it doesn't respond to target mode (I'll try tonight), how can reformat and setup new partitions?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'd remove and wipe the drive if you can't get to it in target mode. I take it you do have another Mac?

FWIW: Have you tried another KB? I have some issues with the Apple Alu KB and my 2006 iMac. (It won't recognize the Alt/Option key at boot at least). So not all USB KBs are equal.

B

8. davedev100 thread starter macrumors newbie

One of my next steps was going to be to try the original keyboard mouse, remove peripherals, etc. since I did upgrade the kb/mouse. I do have another mac so I can try target mode. I understand removing the drive, but "wipe the drive"? Does that involve abnormally large magnets ; )

9. DualShock macrumors 6502

Turn on your mac while holding down the Option key.

You should then see 2 choices, your OS X partition and a Windows partition.

Choose OS X one, then run Boot Camp Assistant from within OS X to delete the Windows partition.

Then go into System Preferences --> Startup Disk and make sure the OS X partition is set up as the startup partition.

That should get you back up and running. Assuming OS X is still installed.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Something tells me he's tried that.

Just Disk Utility. You should be able to select the whole drive and use the erase tab to write all zeros to it.

B

11. DualShock macrumors 6502

12. davedev100 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's ok about it being long. I just messed my computer up THAT much i guess.

The problem is (from what I understand) either I wiped the entire drive and reformatted it as windows OR the computer refuses to boot in to the mac portion and will only boot in the windows portion (which is still formatted as windows).

Either way, the problem is that the keyboard doesn't respond to any Mac stuff, it would be easy if I could hold down "c", then boot with the snow leopard disc and use disc utility to wipe the drive and reformat...

BUT

It now doesn't recognize that holding down "c", or any other key for that matter, means anything.

I mean, all it says on boot up is "ntldr missing, press ctrl-ALT-del to restart.

That's right, ALT, not Option.

So.... the question is: How do you wipe a drive without using the keyboard?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Open computer. Remove drive. Attach to other Mac (via USB/SATA adapter) and use Disk Utility to erase/wipe it. (Check iFixit for disassembly guides).

B

14. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

NTLDR is what XP and 9x Windows used as their boot loaders. So basically it means that the installation went wrong or you installed an OS on top of that boot loader and has thus wreaked havoc. You could always boot into OEM disc and run the command line utility to copy ntldr from the disc.