Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's data that supports the idea that talking on hands-free poses some added danger, although this is also true for talking to a passenger, using the radio, etc. The article likewise seems to claim that an accident involving someone repeatedly texting at the wheel is evidence that banning hands-free usage would produce a tangible reduction in mortality and morbidity.

In contrast, my impression is that auto fatalities and serious injuries are and have been for some time trending down, and there is not clearly any kind of "epidemic" of distracted drivers.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
In contrast, my impression is that auto fatalities and serious injuries are and have been for some time trending down, and there is not clearly any kind of "epidemic" of distracted drivers.

Other than the annoyance of drivers texting. Anytime I am behind someone who is prematurely braking I also glance at them when I pass. Never fails. They are either holding a cellphone to their ear or looking down texting.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ya good luck enforcing that. Cops will be pulling over anybody with a moving mouth.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Other than the annoyance of drivers texting. Anytime I am behind someone who is prematurely braking I also glance at them when I pass. Never fails. They are either holding a cellphone to their ear or looking down texting.
When I look they are always trying to lite their cigarette.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

What amazes me is that there are still drivers who are regularly using their handset at their ear without any kind of handsfree, in spite of the fact that phones all even ship with at least a wired headset. I do see a lot of those.

I think at least it makes sense to move progressively through bans -- texting and hands-on phoning are the least sensible activities and should be the first to go.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
As long as everyone thinks they are an above-average driver, and think that multitasking means you can provide 100% attention to all tasks you are attention, fools will do things behind the wheel.

Drivers eating, reading newspapers, shaving, applying makeup, talking while facing a passenger, talking on cell phone, texting, surfing the web...I've seen all that on the interstate in the past week.

Distracted driving increases then chance of accidents. Certain activities are worse than others, with texting being the worst. Unfortunately, LEO's are more interested in speed traps than on stopping reckless/distracted driving. So it will take huge amounts of public education, and even then, it will still happen (despite lots of education and PSA'a, people still drive drunk).

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Nothing will ever come out of this until these restrictions/recommendations are enforced. In the Metro DC area we have laws banning cell phone use but it's okay if you're using a headset. Still, I see ******s driving around cutting across 3 lanes of traffic or constantly braking in order to text or talk on their cells. I've even known people who were pulled over for yapping on their cells while driving, got fined $100, and still chat on their cells everyday. For me, the worst are the morons that drive 5MPH in order to finish up their text assuming they can't possibly get into an accident driving that slow. 1D10T5. Unfortunately, for some people, it's not going to be clear to them until the day they get into an accident. Even then, they still might not learn their lesson.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.