NTSC + PAL in FCP.. together...?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bigandy, Oct 13, 2007.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I've come across a situation I've not encountered before, and I'd like some help.

I have two imports, one from an NTSC format GL2, and two other camera angles, both from PAL based XL1's.

I need all this on one timeline, and intercut - how can I convert them so they all run at the same speed? What should I do to ensure they all run at the same rate (I've noticed, due to the obvious difference in frame rate), that synching them up at the start still means they'll be running at a different rate at the end.

How can I work around this? Do I need to spend ages converting the NTSC to PAL? What's the best way to go about it? I did it in ffmpegx and it just, well, doesn't like it much.

Any help much appreciated... :eek: I'm using FCS 2.0 with FCP 6.

edit: never mind, i fixed it :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How did you solve it? In case anyone else has the same problem.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

At first I was gonna say you can drop them into the same timeline 'cause you have FCS 2. Then I remembered that FCP 6's "open timeline" can get dodgy if you are mixing frame rates so I was going to suggest the Natress Standards Conversion plug-in 'cause all of the Natress plug-ins are top notch. But now, like Eraserhead, I'm wondering what you did to solve the problem. :)

Lethal

4. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

I used VisualHub.

It converted it perfectly and even prepares it for FCP so you don't have to fiddle about with anything, just drop it back in to the project.

Well worth the money, just for that - it took 13min to change the 39min .dv file on my MBP. :)

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Heh, the more I hear about that software the more useful it seems.

6. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

I'm puzzled why you don't use compressor to do the standards conversion :confused: It comes as part of FC Studio! :p