Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianni014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I have captured movie from dv camera in ntsc format. When I've made a DVD in PAL format, I get a lower quality.
Is there any chance to make PAL DVD from iMovie NTSC finished movie, resulting same quality?
Thanks!

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What software are you using to make the DVD? A lot of factors regarding compression and upsampling come in to play, and the software you use is crucial.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
>>Is there any chance to make PAL DVD from iMovie NTSC finished movie, resulting same quality?<<

No. DV is compressed 5:1 when it's recorded to tape; DVD-Video is much more highly compressed (MPEG-2) and won't ever be the same quality as the original footage.

-DH

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Short answer, "No."

Long answer: As -DH said you are going from DV to DVD (which means a nice quality hit do the added compression) and that couple w/ going from NTSC to PAL is a lot of image manipulation going on.

Lethal

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
One factor is going from NTSC to PAL there is a quality issue because it has to drop frames to conform with PAL specifications (i believe).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
NTSC is lower quality than PAL, it has less lines.

PAL has a lower refresh rate, but it's not noticeable. It's actually an advantage to transfer film (without duplicating frames, just running 4% faster).

Note that all this does not apply to PAL-M (Brazil and Laos only), which is NTSC-like.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I have captured movie from dv camera in ntsc format. When I've made a DVD in PAL format, I get a lower quality.
Is there any chance to make PAL DVD from iMovie NTSC finished movie, resulting same quality?
Thanks!

The Unofficial iMovie FAQ said:
link

I have an NTSC project and want a PAL DVD.

The good news is: You can just send an NTSC disc. Any PAL set top DVD player capable of playing DVD-R discs can also play NTSC discs. All that is needed is a fairly new TV, built in the last 8-10 years or so.

Do you want to send a VHS tape? Well, since about half of the PAL VCR's are capable of playing an NTSC tape, your chances aren't as good as with a DVD. You still need a fairly new TV, built in the last 8-10 years or so.

Read further into the article for step-by-step instructions to get the highest quality NTSC to PAL conversion.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
That "fairly new TV" bit for playing NTSC DVDs is quite misleading. Many DVD players are capable of outputting an NTSC disk as PAL or viceversa.

It's actually quite annoying that some allow you to set the output to always be one of the two formats, but don't have an AUTO mode to switch standards automatically according to how the disk is encoded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.