Carrier NTT Docomo Japan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dekeen, Jul 8, 2014.

1. dekeen macrumors newbie

Hello

My uncle brought an iPhone 5C from Japan (NTT Docomo) and he gave it to me, but it is locked by the carrier (I'm in Brazil). I would like to unlock it, but searching here in this forum I didn't find any reliably imei carrier service that unlock for Docomo (chronicunlock, etc). The only one that I found is http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/, but reading here in this forum it seems that they are scam and I can't trust them. Did anyone unlocke an iPhone from Docomo or know somehow I can do that? I don't know what can I do anymore.

Thanks,
    Denis

2. AppleFanatic10, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You may have to call your uncle in Japan and tell him to ask Docomo to unlock it for him. Did he pay full price? It would've been easier of he just paid for one online at the Apple store since they sell unlocked iPhones.

3. dekeen thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is that my uncle came back to Brazil. He had bought this phone because he used it in Japan and when he had come back he gave it to me. I tried to look for information in docomo's web site (https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/procedure/simcard/unlock_dcm/) and it seems that they doesn't unlock iPhones. I'll try to contact them using skype.

4. AppleFanatic10, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I doubt any cell carriers in Japan unlock phones at all which sucks. I just talked to my mom about maybe selling hers when her tour is up since they're not going to unlock it for her. Your best bet is to maybe sell it somewhere online...

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

AppleFanatic10 is correct, Japanese carriers do not unlock their phones, even if they are off contract. There are gray market services that claim to unlock Japanese iPhones, but it's very expensive. The Japanese Cellphone market is completely different than anywhere else I have dealt with.

6. dekeen thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I didn't expected to hear =/... japanese carriers really sucks... I'll try with Jailbreak or I'll sell it. Thank you guys.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Jailbreaking won't help much. You might as well sell it and buy a U.S. version.

8. Acronyc macrumors 6502

Japanese carriers do suck for unlocking as they don't do it, even if your phone is paid off and you have met your contract obligations. Now that Apple is officially selling factory unlocked iPhones in Japan, I'll buy my next iphone at full price so I don't have to worry about it.