Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nuance Debuts Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Speech recognition firm Nuance today announced the launch of Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5, bringing a number of new features including compatibility with the company's recently-released Dragon Remote Microphone app for iOS devices. Nuance is of course also apparently working closely with Apple on its "Assistant" function currently under development in iOS 5.

Among the other key additions in Dragon Dicate for Mac 2.5 is support for combining voice input with manual keyboard/mouse input in compatible applications such as Word 2011.
Dragon Dictate 2.5 allows users to seamlessly combine dictation with manual input from the mouse and keyboard while working with Microsoft Word 2011. This ability to "mix talking and typing" within Microsoft Word was the most requested product enhancement from Dragon Dictate customers. In addition, Dragon Dictate 2.5 offers built-in voice commands for Microsoft Word 2011 to format text, insert tables and graphics, and control many menu items by voice. Dragon Dictate 2.5 also works with other popular Mac applications: Apple's Pages, Mail, TextEdit, iChat, Keynote, iCal, Safari, and more.
Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5 also includes better formatting and editing control and enhanced commands to recognize multi-step functions such as posting to Facebook or Twitter and searching computers, Mail, or various search engines.

Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5 is priced at $179.99 for a digital download or $199.99 for a boxed product. A package including wireless headset is also available for $299.99. Current users of Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.0 receive a free upgrade to the new version, while upgrade pricing for those on earlier versions comes in at $99.99.

Article Link: Nuance Debuts Dragon Dictate for Mac 2.5

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Gee maybe this one won't crash every 5 minutes. Had to return the previous version because it was so buggy.

Disappointed that it took almost a year to get an update out.

Comment

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Paired with Dragon Remote Microphone - seems to be working great for me.

Dragon Remote Microphone is an Iphone app that allows you to use your Iphone as a mic, instead of the headphone cable-attached gizmo that comes with the boxed version.

I know you can use a Bluetooth mic, but this works nicely, too.

I guess I have been lucky- my experience with Dragon apps has been excellent.

BTW - The iPhone app is free. Me like free!

Last edited:
Comment

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
Really pleased about this, but..

I use this software because I suffer with inflammatory arthritis, affecting my hands.

I year after paying for an update last year, that made things worse, rather than better, I had been using the old version which I maintained.

I had been appalled by Nuances lack of response to customers through the old MacSpeech forums (previously very good).... MacSpeech website took a few months to transition the new corporate map.

I am very glad that those who bought version 2.0 are getting 2.5 for free (I hope it works with Lion, anyone know?) because I would not have parted with more cash for it! I hope this lives up the the promise.

Comment

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I will throw in my two cents here. I been working with the Dragon Dictation app for Mac over the past week and have been quite impressed. It is generally about 95% percent correct. Probably will get better with training.

Comment

tlinford

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Edinburgh
agreement

I will throw in my two cents here. I been working with the Dragon Dictation app for Mac over the past week and have been quite impressed. It is generally about 95% percent correct. Probably will get better with training.

I have been using the new update for a few days, in word, doing mixed typing and dictation.... It seems to work!

This is what should have been delivered a year ago.... but I won't be to grumpy about it..... but all those people who bought the expensive legal and medical packages must we well hacked off!

Comment

diannetrussell

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Australia
Hi Dragon Dictate users,
Can anyone help me get 2.0 that runs on OS 10.6.8?
I have spoken with Nuance and they cannot supply me with an old copy of DD. I have tried torrents, which all fail. I have tried ebay, without success - no-one will ship the box to Australia. I have downloaded copies only to find that they ask for the license key after 4 days, which wasn't supplied. So I asked Nuance if I could buy an old license key from them and they said they cannot supply me with one (they don't have any). So I tried license key generators for old versions, and they all fail or are malware. All the other internet sites saying they can sell it to me get blocked by my malware-trappers too. I need Dragon Dictate 2. Can anyone give me or sell me a working licensed copy, or point me to another user who can?
Thanks heaps.

P.S. In case you're wondering, no I can't update my OS from 10.6.8 to anything later, or get a new computer. I'm on a disability pension, and it would cost $6,000 to buy a new computer and matching versions of all the software I have - impossible at this time. Plus I have essential programs that run on 10.6.8 but no later OS and can't be obtained any more.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.