Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Remzin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Wow. A very weird problem I just ran into. I needed to reinstall OS X for the very reason that it was just too slow. I reformatted my OS X partition, but my Vista partition stayed. It's telling me that I can't install it without reformatting. Unfortunately, Disk verify, and Disk repair say it's ok. So I go back and choose to reformat to the default FS. I get to the install, and it says to wait for verification of the disk, I let it go through, disk fine. It starts to install and then ends and says "NOPE!" So is there anything I can do to install OS X?

PS - These are the original 10.5.2 disks that came with the computer.
PPS - I had 10.5.5 install prior to formating

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
What format did you select for your OS X partition? Should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When your computer said "nope," what exactly did it say? :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When you installed did you reformat in Disk Utility or did you choose the option in the installer?

Remzin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
I zeroed the Mac partition to Extended Journaled. I did it through the disk utility.
The installer says that I have to reformat it to Extended Journaled. It calculates time for the install and then quits and says... I'm pretty sure it said something along the lines of "Mac OS X cannot be installed on disk01s" or something like that. I erased free space with Zeroing out the data. As I said before, same thing for erasing the drive.

EDIT: It says that it can't prepare the partition for installation. My windows partition used to be good for an install (at least with a reformat) but now it says the same thing as my mac OS X partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.