Nub needs some help with installing OS X on a macbook pro...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Remzin, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Remzin macrumors newbie

Wow. A very weird problem I just ran into. I needed to reinstall OS X for the very reason that it was just too slow. I reformatted my OS X partition, but my Vista partition stayed. It's telling me that I can't install it without reformatting. Unfortunately, Disk verify, and Disk repair say it's ok. So I go back and choose to reformat to the default FS. I get to the install, and it says to wait for verification of the disk, I let it go through, disk fine. It starts to install and then ends and says "NOPE!" So is there anything I can do to install OS X?

PS - These are the original 10.5.2 disks that came with the computer.
    PPS - I had 10.5.5 install prior to formating

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What format did you select for your OS X partition? Should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When your computer said "nope," what exactly did it say? :p

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you installed did you reformat in Disk Utility or did you choose the option in the installer?

4. Remzin thread starter macrumors newbie

I zeroed the Mac partition to Extended Journaled. I did it through the disk utility.
    The installer says that I have to reformat it to Extended Journaled. It calculates time for the install and then quits and says... I'm pretty sure it said something along the lines of "Mac OS X cannot be installed on disk01s" or something like that. I erased free space with Zeroing out the data. As I said before, same thing for erasing the drive.

EDIT: It says that it can't prepare the partition for installation. My windows partition used to be good for an install (at least with a reformat) but now it says the same thing as my mac OS X partition.