Nuclear Powered iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, reading the date, 7 years ago, and claims of this article, I think it's about time we started asking for a Nuclear iPad3.

Just imagine, running for 10 years without needing to charge it :D

http://www.physorg.com/news4081.html

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Very cool research! Using tritium (3H) decay as a possible long term energy source is indeed an interesting concept. I did a quick search through the literature and it appears that a couple other groups have been looking at using radioactive nickel and sulfur under a similar principle.

If anyone is interested in the actual paper the authors have it freely posted.

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I tried to make a "Betavoltaic" battery as my summer project but radioactive material costs too much :mad: The only way for a civilian/ebay user to get Tritium is by purchasing it in individual keychain cylinders of about 1 gram, and some tests I did showed that I would need a couple hundred dollars worth to generate any power.

The problem with an iPad powered by this is that a nuclear battery small enough to carry around with you would only generate a minute amount of electricity - barely even enough to power a wristwatch. The iPad would need a briefcase sized RTG weighing ~25 pounds to power it. (and it would also be *quite radioactive).

Just before the release of the last MBP I saw some people speculating that it might be powered by a fuel cell:rolleyes:

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just trying to image using a 10 year old computer (or iPad) is enough of an exercise in itself.:eek: