Nuendo, Cubase, Protools doesn't work on new Mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by asllas, Apr 18, 2009.

1. asllas macrumors newbie

Hey:
    I was so close to buy a new mac pro 2.26 octa until I heard that nuendo and cubase, also (protools i think) doesn't work good with the new mac pros (Nehalem). I am very confused right now what should I do?

Lars

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yep! that's the best.

But if you (or someone reading this) are one of the people who already bought a new mac Pro and are having this trouble there may be a work-around!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7470788&postcount=16

AFAIK no one has tried this yet. If it works the 1st person to show this as a solution will be a bit of a hero.

I hope someone here tries it and reports back! This might even make the Page One News here or whatever it is. :)

4. RobP macrumors member

Using Cubase 4 here with no problems on a 09 2.66 Octo...

RobP

5. myca macrumors 6502

It looks as though if hyper threading is turned off the audio apps should run fine, and (hopefully) once all these audio apps have been optimised for hyper threading they should get a new lease of life.

That's at least a positive spin on the situation :)

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

7. Ploki macrumors 68000

no problems = it works 100%, no problems = only half of the cores work?

i didnt know theres a way to turn of HT on an 09

8. chet.d macrumors member

Greetings.
    I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to chime in re; Nuendo 4 and Mac Pro.

I was going to hold out to see if the new goods possibly coming ahead soon actually come in Jan or Feb..
    But maybe 08 or 09?? would be a better bet... considering I don't have a more than 4k (including atleast 10 gigs ram and 2tb storage).

Any thoughts much appreciated. Particularly re; 08 VRS 09 MP options and the present state of friendly-ness (or not) with N4.

9. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

vogelhausdesign

Is there a reason you're going with Nuendo? Just wondering. Seems like you might want to do a bit more research into DAW Interface/Multitrack software before you dispell the 09 MP

10. ekwipt macrumors 6502

11. chet.d macrumors member

I've had Nuendo since version 1 and for me it just makes sense to stay with it.

12. chet.d macrumors member

Thanks, I have been checking that thread out though still not sure which MP to go with.

To be honest, I almost decided to go PC for the studio / Nuendo setup.
    But, considering I have Apogee Ensemble clocked by Big Ben and don't see an "affordable upgrade option" from there whereby I retain 8 D/A outs to Dangerous D Box...
    I need to stick with Mac.

13. ekwipt macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree didn't know you had mac specific hardware. In that case I'd go for whatever the best macpro is you can afford. If you have a look at the track counts in the threads gearslutz (there's a logic benchmark thread that will help in this descision)

the quadcore macpros are great for the money, you could get the base model now andbupgrade rhe chip yourself when you run out of processing power.

Unless your doing a lot of film/tv scoring mixing aren't you better off with cubase = cheaper not that much difference.

Final thoughts: if you have rhe money pimp out the quad core macpro, the higher clock speeds will give you more processing power for effects. If you are a sample heavy producer than the 8 core mac might be better for you.

The other thing to think about is iMacs they're a great cheap alternative to macpros, but obvioulsy haven't got upgradeable parts, hard disks, internal soundcards, UAD cards, pcie cards for extra FireWire or USB connections etc

I have the older macpro 2008, but if I bought now there's no way I'd go back to older tech, the 2008 was the last bunch of macpros with fbdimm ram which is nit that good in regards ro samples and latency

next years macpro upgrades should be even better an I'd consider waiting if you can. Christmas and holidays are expensive enough without buying a whole new setup