Nuevasync for Gmail; Reliability/Worth It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhightinPhils26, Aug 7, 2009.

1. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Over the past few days I have been mulling over the possibility of signing up for Nuevasync as a Push solution for my GMail. I currently use the Google Sync method via MS Exchange for Cal and Contacts and it works fantastic, but obviously it's missing mail. E-mail on the fly for various reasons has become very important as I just started a new job as a real estate agent.

First, I want to know how reliable the service is, especially for e-mail as this would be the ONLY reason I need it (though I am aware I would HAVE to use it for Contacts and Calendars because of the 1 Exchange account limitation).

Secondly, would anyone advise against it for a cheaper or more reliable solution or does anyone else get the feeling the GMail will go push soon, especially since Schmidt resigned from Apple's board.

Any helpful thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

2. dwcliff macrumors newbie

I have never used nuevasync to push gmail to my device, but did use it extensively to sync google contacts/calendar before google made that work with google sync. I found nuevasync to be a little undependable at the time and would often find their system down for repairs, etc. Often this would result in losing all my contacts on my device until they got it fixed. Maybe its better now, but I would be tempted to just set your iPhone for manual fetch of email every 15 minutes until gmail will be pushed....and of course everytime you open the messaging program on your device it will check for new email for you too.

3. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I've been using it for email push since it came out and it's bullet-proof. There were a couple of issue the day or so after it came out, but since then - no problems. My iPhone now generally receives mail before my Mac does.

4. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Did you ever have problems like dwcliff was describing?

5. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

6. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Have you looked into the new app PushMail?

I've been using it for about a week and it works great! For the record, no affiliation with the developer.

It's 5.00 compared to NS 25.00.

I've now got Google syncing my contacts and calendar, use PushMail for mail alerts then Gmail IMAP, set to check every hour.

Just my 0.02

HTH

David

7. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I was looking for something a little more seamless thanks for the info though!

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Yahoo push mail is free. Forward a copy of you gmail to yahoo until gmail comes out with push. Not seamless but free.

9. Pared macrumors 65816

Yahoo push is not only somewhat unreliable at times, GMails forwarding feature seems to lag at times as well.

Couple the two together and if you're looking for an immediate email notification system, that's not a solid solution for the topic creator.

10. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is my office - I need to get email ASAP to support users. For that reason, something like NuevaSync that works (a) seamlessly without forwarding my mail all over the place and (b) is reliable is worth a little more money to me. I looked at a few other options, but this seems to be a good cost/functionality ratio for me.

11. MisterL99 macrumors member

NuevaSync and Google Calendar

very useful, there is one drawback that i've found using it with the iPhone - when you create a Calendar entry on the iPhone and set it up to remind you at the time you set, not 5 minutes or any other amount of time before, if you set it to notify you at the time you set it, when it sync's to the Google calendar, it automatically sets the entry to 5 minutes before. its quite frustrating at times. I've found that even after you reset it back to "on the date of event" and it sync's which is usually within 5 minutes, it goes back to 5 minutes before. that's about it, otherwise, its very solid.

12. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Cool, this is the info i was looking for, however I am not TOO worried about the notifications, especially if I can work around them.

Now that I am thinking about it the $25 isn't much especially for a year, so if Google comes out with a free solution then I wouldn't be too upset.

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Simple and works perfectly for me and I've been using it for several months now and will continue for quite some time.

ChrisN

14. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Works great. Love it.