NuevaSync now offering gmail push

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rendez2k, Jul 4, 2009.

1. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

NuevaSync have finally launched their gmail push service

Unfortunately, its not free. having said that, its hardly expensive either

Anybody going to take the plunge?

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

That's a good deal since it's 1/4 the price of mobile me! I'd be curious to see how reliable it is.

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've been using NuevaSync to keep my Google Calendar & iPhone synched and it's works great. It's been a very reliable service. The only day they had issues that I'm aware of was on 3GS launch where they system was flooded with synch requests due to new devices synching all entries. To be honest, given Apple & AT&T's systems couldn't keep up with launch day I'm willing to forgive them for that. :D

4. PaulieORF macrumors regular

I signed up and get setup last night. It works well so far. The one thing missing is syncing of the "All mail" folder (or label, if you will). I emailed NuevaSync about it last night and they replied this morning saying that because of the way the all mail folder works on Gmail, it's taking them a little extra time to get that functioning correctly, but that we we will have the ability to move emails to the all mail folder in a couple of days.

This is pretty sweet so far, and the quickness of their support staff is impressive.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one thing. New emails received come almost instantly, while it seems that things such a deletes and moves take quite a while to happen. Something to watch and see if it improves.

EDIT AGAIN: Hmmmm, well it seems sometimes inconsistent how long it takes for deletes and such to happen. Just deleted 4 emails from my inbox and it was reflected in about 5 seconds on my iPhone.

5. rendez2k thread starter macrumors 6502

rendez2k

Signed up a few hours ago and it appears to be working OK so far. I'll update if anything changes.

Wasn't spotlight supposed to be able to search on exchange servers? I see no option to do so?

6. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Just one question, in gmail you can set up a different sender address (send email as).

With nuevasync is it possible to send email with a different sender address?
    i.e. send email through account A but with sender's address B ?

7. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Does it also sync the folders and everything like that?

I'm so very interested in this.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I can't see using it for calenders since that's built into gmail and is pushed to the iphone. I used twitter for follow them to see when they got gmail working but in that time I saw a lot of problems reported.

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

It works well.. but push is not very instantaneous, it takes 2-3 minutes but hey, that's better than fetching.

10. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Just signed up and so far - I'm impressed. I sent myself a few test messages and they appeared with 10-20 sec of sending. Just slightly after my mac got them. Pretty nice not to have to open mail all the time to see if anything has arrived!

11. speed12 macrumors regular

Is there any way for Push email to come up with a message, similar to when you get an SMS, saying you have an email from whoever?

The reason is that due to the lack of flagging on iPhone, I mark any important emails as unread, which can sometimes be quite a few....which means if it just adds a number to the badge, it might not alert me to having a new email....does that make any sense?.....

12. thespazz macrumors 6502a

No sms like badges, sorry bro.

13. speed12 macrumors regular

14. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Couple of question as well in regards to NuevaSync......

With another previously announced "push gmail" service once had to setup a "faux" Exchange account to get the functionality. Is that the case with this?

Thanks

15. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

Yes. It's a variation using the ActiveSync protocol.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Why not just star important emails or move them to a different folder? Clearing your inbox for new messages ...

17. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Thanks
    David

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

First, mobile me is $70 on amazon, so this is more than 1/3 the price. Second, mobile me provides a host of other functionality beyond push email - what finally sold me on it was "find my iphone" and remote wipe.

That said, I'll admit I'm having a hard time changing my primary email use from gmail to mobile me, mostly because mobile me's web interface is slow slow slow compared to gmail's.

19. Damon Hill macrumors regular

I'm very tempted to do this. I have been using Neuvasync for contacts and calendar for over a year now. I just wish I knew whether or not Google was going to institute a gmail push of their own anytime soon.

20. shk718 macrumors 65816

i just read on their site that they only sync calendars back two weeks - dang - everything seems to have a hook involved - i need much more than two weeks.

21. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Not to down Nuevasync, but I am using Exchange to sync the calendar and contacts.

And a GPush app is awaiting approval at the app store which is a one time pay for app that pushes your Gmail to the phone.

This will also use less battery because push notifications will use less battery than push email.

22. itsmequinn macrumors regular

That's simply not true.

23. Pared macrumors 65816

24. shk718 macrumors 65816

its not really push - the mail doesn't push - it just notifies you that you have a new gmail. you then have to open the mail app and download it.

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

What isn't true?

I just re-read my post.

100% Fact.

So do you care to elaborate?

No, there will be an application called GPush. One you have to get from the App Store.

Correct.

The GPush app will use the push notification system to notify you that you have new emails on the server waiting for you. It will NOT actually push the email to your phone. So when you get a notification, you will still have to lauch the mail.app application (or the mobile one via Safari) to get your emails.