Nuke the Library folder?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 8Apples, Jan 6, 2014.

1. 8Apples macrumors member

8Apples

Ok, I have had the same user for a while now, and have re-installed the OS, and had issues, just slowness in general. Finally, I created a new user, and moved all my files manually over to the new account (copy/paste) as per the general instructions. However some files didn't play so nice, so with terminal, I changed the owner (chown) and moved the files. That seemed to work fine. Brought me back my Linux days. Any rate, I got a thinking, it seems that I could have accomplished the same thing by just nuking my Library folder. Ok, nuking could be a little harsh, perhaps just moving it to a new location, rebooting. Would it create a new Library folder? I'm specifically talking about my users Library folder located in /Users/username/Library Would that have done the same thing as moving all my files to a new user? Seems as that would be a much faster solution. Just wondering and had to ask for future reference.

8Apples

2. 8Apples thread starter macrumors member

8Apples

You mean to tell me, no one has ever moved their library folder from their account? Or deleted it(that being a bad idea)?

Does it repopulate itself with a new library folder?

8Apples

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Why not just give it a go. Rename the folder and see what happens.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Moving or deleting the Library or ~/Library folder is a very bad idea. It can cause severe problems with OS X and apps. The /Applications folder, the library folders and the System folders should be left in their original locations on your boot drive. If you want to move something, move user files. A more prudent approach to troubleshooting poor performance is to identify the source of the problem, rather than make mass changes in hopes that somewhere in those changes, your problem is resolved.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

5. drew627, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

drew627 macrumors regular

But since he's just proposing moving the user library folder, it shouldn't have such a catastrophic outcome, should it? Whats the worst that could happen? That he has to create a new user?... I don't see the problem.

I actually just experimented this with a newly created user account. It will not affect the system in any way. In fact, the folder was recreated and the system ran perfectly. There's your answer.

6. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

~/Library is a user directory, removing it does not damage the system. That particular user will lose some app configuration and data but it wont hurt the system.

7. 8Apples thread starter macrumors member

8Apples

Thanks!!! That is what I really wanted to know. That seems like a much simpler procedure than actually creating a new user, and moving all files over to the new user account. Especially for the GB of files I have.

Confirmed by the quote above. Thanks for the info!

Thanks all.

8Apples