Nullriver Medialink and Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wsj412, Oct 17, 2008.

1. wsj412 macrumors newbie

I cannot get PS3 to recognize (connect) with my MacBookPro following an update to MediaLink 1.59. With the earlier version of MediaLink I could look at photos on our tv via PS3. Now I do not get the icon for MediaLink when looking at, for example, photos on PS3. I have written numerous notes to Nullriver through their support site (on their web) but have yet to receive a response. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Bill

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Do you have the firewall in OS X turned on to "only allow essential services"? Also, do you have "Stealth Mode" enabled in System Preferences>Security>Firewall tab>Advanced?

If so, try turning down the firewall a notch ... to "Allow all incoming connections" or "Set access for specific services and applications".

3. wsj412 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nullriver Medialink and PS3

Mark,
    Thanks for your speedy response. I did (and do) have firewall set to allow all incoming connections. Unfortunately I still can't seem to get the two machines (Mac and PS3) to connect. Any other suggestions. Again, before updating MediaLink I would have the MediaLink icon on my PS3 Photo setting. Now it is not there.
    Thanks again for your rapid response.
    Bill

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

hmm, I wouldn't think that this is a network problem, if it happened just after the update.

have you completely uninstalled it, and tried again?

5. wsj412 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just uninstalled/reinstalled medialink and still have no connection. Through another forum I tried TwonkyMedia but cannot successfully install that software. So I am still stuck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bill

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

You have 1.54??

I just checked mine, and it is 1.34 It tells me that is the latest update.

Mine never used to work, but after reinstalling Tiger, it worked perfectly. I hope you won't have to resort to that.

7. wsj412 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I do have MediaLink version 1.59 (at least that is what my registration says!). I am running Leopard, not Tiger. And, am still not able to get the PS3 to recognize my MediaLink (MacBookPro).

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

9. wsj412 thread starter macrumors newbie

I stopped and then restarted MediaLink and now it seems to be working (at least partially). I can now see most of my photos but cannot listen to music.

10. downingp macrumors 6502a

I am in a similar situation. I just got a PS3 and found out about Medialink. I have a good internet connection; the PS3 "sees" my music, and photo folders However, when I try to select an particular artist or photo album it keeps saying "there are no tracks"
    I went to the Medialink website and it says to go to the Medialink preferences and make sure the "share only checked songs" is unchecked. I did that I still can not play music.
    I would say 99% of my music is in Apple Lossless format. Should Medialink be able to stream Apple Lossless files?

thanks

11. crj1 macrumors newbie

Apple Lossless Format Not Supported

Unfortunately Medialink does not support Apple Lossless format. I emailed them about 6 months ago asking if they had plans to support them and they said they did but wouldn't say when. Until then you're stuck with the list on the Medialink site --> http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

I am also now unable to access my Mac from my PS3 - I'm sot sure if this is since the upgrade to 1.59 of Medialink or to OS X 10.5.6 or both. Is anyone running these versions successfully? I did make a change to my Airport Extreme settings a few days ago as my iTunes was unable to stream music to my Airport Express - I set IPv6 Mode to Tunnel and unchecked Block incoming IPv6 connections but setting it back to local-link only doesn't help my PS3!

12. w1d3y macrumors newbie

Bit off topic, i have medialink and generally works ok. Also share house with 2 other people who both have ps3's. Is there anyway i can stop them stealing my precious music and films from the mac.?!

13. henkesboots macrumors newbie

On the same topic, if I am running medialink, would my neighbour with a PS3 also get to see all my media files?

14. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Only if they're on your network (they may steal a wireless signal)

15. henkesboots macrumors newbie

Thanks, my wireless is passworded so that should be ok!

16. Bambography macrumors newbie

Hi, I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone had any problems installing Medialink on 10.4.11? I've tried bit 1.7 & 1.72 but I always get the message 'Could not load MediaLink preference pane'. Are there known clashes?
    From the searching i've been doing this seems a unique problem so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

17. Bambography macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies....!?!

Anyway, sorted it now. It turns out that when the download was picked up by SpeedDownload 4 it messed it up. Once I Downloaded direct from the site without using speed download it loaded fine. Just got to get the PS3 on now...

18. belgerles macrumors newbie

I have media link and have been running it for sometime. My wireless network is coded and I only have 1 ps3, but when I go to the devices it says that there are 4 ps3's. Is there people stealing my stuff and how do I get this to stop?