Number '09 Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sindekit, Feb 20, 2012.

1. sindekit macrumors member

So I made a chart to track my weight and I was wondering if there was a way to make my date column automatically fill in the date for the next entry?

2. James Craner, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Assuming you want to increment the data by the same amount each time, say one day then you could put the current date in the top cell in the column, then the next cell underneath for the next date, put a formula that references the cell above +1 - See the screenshot below. If you then mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the cell, you will see a drag handle, drag this down each day and it will copy the formula down, incrementing the date by +1.

Hopefully you can see the formula in cell C6, = C5 +1

Extending Range.png

Hope that helps.

3. sindekit thread starter macrumors member

I did what you said, but the formula doesn't seem to move over to the next cell.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You need to move the formula down by clicking on the drag handle and pulling down to the next cell, then release the mouse button. When you hover the mouse over the drag handle the white cross pointer should turn to a black cross.

Untitled.png

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I think you mean the bottom right corner of the cell to see the drag handle.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You don't even have to do that much. Just enter the first date, and pull down the drag handle on the bottom right hand corner of the cell. It will correctly guess that you want to increment the date by 1 for each cell.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

yes, you are right thanks for the correction.

----------

Now that is strange, I thought that would work as well, but when I tried it last night it just repeated the date sequence, rather than extend it. Tried it again today and it works as you suggested. I know Excel is pretty clever when it comes to extending date ranges and I initially thought that Numbers was not going to do what I needed. Thanks for the comment.

8. sindekit thread starter macrumors member

9. sindekit thread starter macrumors member

I need further help now:

I decided that I wanted to include another column for %loss. I figured out the formula to calculate it right, but I want to know if I could make it so it rounds up to the nearest hundredth place? Cause right now, it shows numbers like "1.43129770992366" . Oh and how do I make it so that my % column won't be included in the graph or if possible I can make it so that it has it's own graph?
    Either way would be fine.

Thanks in advance.

10. pgyanke macrumors member

In Excel, you would do a formula like this: =Round(formula,2). That would round you to 2 decimal places. Going down in number gets you closer to the decimal and negative puts you across to the other side (-2 would round to the nearest hundred). The opposite is true also.

I haven't tried this in Numbers but don't see why it should be different.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you are just concerned with the display, on the View menu select "Show Format Bar", select the cells, and on the format bar you can set % format and set the number of digits. Without the format bar, but with the Toolbar, bring up the Inspector and you can set the format from there.

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove data from a graph. At least for me the Delete key does nothing even though it appears to be active. You can create a graph for any selection of data. I suggest using the built-in help since there are quite a few things you can do.

12. sindekit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys! I figure out how to not include my %loss column, I just had to click on the graph and unhighlight the column!