Number of Accidental Damage Claims When on Apple iPhone Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulesJam, Oct 14, 2016.

1. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

I was told that if you are in the AiUP you get 2 accidental damage claims per phone. So if you got an iP6s through the AiUP and used both claims in the first year, then traded it in after 1 year and got the iP7, you would now start fresh and have 2 more accidental damage claims.

If true this would mean effectively you get 4 accidental damage claims per 2 years if you are in the AiUP and upgrade every year.

Is this how it works? Because if so, I think that is a huge advantage of the AiUP.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but you still have to pay the deductible to get those replacements.
    It's not really an advantage, you're just paying/buying AppleCare plus built in the financed price.

3. JulesJam thread starter Suspended

JulesJam

Of course you have to pay the deductibles.

It depends on how careless you are whether or not it is an advantage. In my family, it is a huge advantage to have 4 accidental damage claims over 2 years instead of 2. Screens only have a $29 deductible under AC+. My relatives break screens all of the time.

4. Applejuiced, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    It depends on the person.
    I know a few people that go through phones every 2-3 months and are very accident prone with damages etc..
    For me I never broke a screen or damaged any of my iPhones and I had iPhones since 2007. So last time I ended up spending money on AppleCare plus and 2 years later my iPhone 6 Plus still looks and works like new and didn't need to use the insurance. This time with the iPhone 7 I skipped it.

5. JulesJam thread starter Suspended

JulesJam

I haven't used my home owner's insurance ever. I wouldn't go without it though. Obviously the cost to replace/repair my home is much larger than an iPhone so self-insuring my home would be too risky. But I think the added year of customer service with AC+ is worth it too.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah I wouldn't compare a $250,000 property to a $650 cellphone so your analogy doesn't make much sense.
    I can pay out of pocket $129 to replace a screen, I wouldnt want to pay out of pocket to replace a home in case of a fire for example.