Number of Bars - for voice, data, or both ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Aug 20, 2008.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I have a 1st gen phone with EDGE. When I see 5 bars and the E, does it mean my EDGE DATA connection is at full strength, or are the bars indicative of my call signal strength ?

Many times I have 5 bars but can only get 20-30 kbps on EDGE.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. The bars indicate signal. Your problem is your local bandwidth. Either there are many people using the data services on your tower, the tower's broadband connection is slow, or there is something wrong at the tower.

I have 5 bars and get 250Kbps, at 3 bars I get the same.

TEG

3. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

so you're saying with low bars you will definitely have poor EDGE service, and with 5 bars you have the potential for good service, but it could still be lousy if your node is congested or whatever?

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

More or less, yes.

Going back to your original question, the phone sees everything it sends and receives as data. Whether it's a call, text message, webpage, or an email it's all 0s and 1s when it leaves the phone over the air.

5. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

its just frustrating because where I work i have 5 bars and good phone calls, but EDGE barely works.

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i want to bump this thread because i've gotten conflicting information on this question. last night AT&T told me that the number of bars only reflects voice signal strength and has no bearing on how strong your EDGE or 3G will be. Either you have EDGE or 3G or not (icon or no icon) but there is no way to tell how strong it is by just looking at it. Does anyone know for sure how this works ?