Number of characters in a line

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by riosuzhou, Feb 9, 2012.

1. riosuzhou macrumors newbie

I've been trying to count the number of characters in a line when using Word, but I can't seem to find the way to do it.
    I used to use a PC and the lower bar in Word specified number of characters when in a certain position within a line, number of words and number of page. now with a Mac I don't get the number of characters.
    Can I enable this function?
    Thanks for you help!

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not sure which version you are using. I am using 2011. It is under the following menus Tools>Word Count.

3. riosuzhou thread starter macrumors newbie

Character count

No, I don't need to count the words. I need to count the number of characters per line. On a PC the count is automatic and it appears on the bottom of the window. On a Mac I'm not sure where to find it.

4. squeakr, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

When I follow the menus I listed I get the following pop-up (does this not work for you) just divide Characters by lines and get a rough estimate): You can also highlight a section of text or line and then get the same box and it calculates all of that for the selected text, disregarding the rest of the document). Can also get to this by clicking on the word count at the bottom of the page.

Attached Files: