Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biker21098

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
CA
hi guys im new so excuse my ignorance on the matter. I am all set up to put a 5th Hard Drive in my PM450. I just need to know if OS X will allow this. As you can see in the picture i had to move the power, reset, and programmers button to the outside in oerder to fit the 2nd piggyback rack in the 3rd Hard Drive bay. Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• dsc00013 2.jpg
    dsc00013 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 176

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
The OS should not care about how many drives you have installed. Its just a matter of how many your ATA bus can take... I assume that you all ready have some open slots.. go good luck.

Biker21098

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
CA
5th Hard drive.

sorry guys I forgot to tell you, i have a PCI card that is an ATA 100/133 contoller, it allows 4 drie to itself, i only have 3 connected now. The 5th drive would probably just got on the standart ATA controller that is on the motherboard. here is a pic of the 4 drive already in it. thanks

Attachments

• dsc00012 2.jpg
    dsc00012 2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 131

Biker21098

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
CA
thank you very much evildead

thank you very much, i thought i would. it will bump me up to 420gigs, im getting a 40 gig for cheap. so should be easy just through it in the comp. Any experience with using Apple's RAID set-up. I combikned my two 120 gig drives together. It is nice becasue the OS and FCP recognize them as one HD which makes it easier on settings for rendering etc, but in OS 9 those drive dont show up, and i general those drives are hard to change or get access to in an emergancy if my OS goes down or something. Nothing but OS X recognizes them. I would love to RAID 4 of my drives together leaving one that is my start-up and app HD while the other 4 are for storage and video stuff. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Biker21098

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
CA
thank you very much evildead

thank you very much, i thought i would. it will bump me up to 420gigs, im getting a 40 gig for cheap. so should be easy just through it in the comp. Any experience with using Apple's RAID set-up. I combikned my two 120 gig drives together. It is nice becasue the OS and FCP recognize them as one HD which makes it easier on settings for rendering etc, but in OS 9 those drive dont show up, and i general those drives are hard to change or get access to in an emergancy if my OS goes down or something. Nothing but OS X recognizes them. I would love to RAID 4 of my drives together leaving one that is my start-up and app HD while the other 4 are for storage and video stuff. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
As Many HDs As Possible

Im going to order the new 1ghz, and fill it w/ 160's and 120's!!! of course, ill be buying an ata 133 for the setup :) I already have 2 160's and a 120 waiting for it to come.

MMMMM Gigs

But I wonder if too many harddrives can make my poor lil puter too hot inside...

Biker21098

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
CA
too hot

Ya i ahve extra fans in mine ol 450 i tro to keep it low, around 68F or 20C. its worht it to keep the temps down. Those 160 gig drives wont be as fast as teh 120's I have never seen a 160 gig drive that wasnt 5400RPM. If your doing video or any speed intensive tasks the 5400RPM will slow you down. Most 120gig HD are 7400RPM, this speed is much better, just that litle bit faster. The ATA 133 is great though, that will help speed a lot. well good luck with it all, and keep those case temps down. Thats why I took off the plastic around my PM450. Allows a lot more ventilation. Took the speaker out, I ahve a small fan pulling are in from the speaker grill, and a huge exhaust fan in the back blowing lots of hot air out. My comp a little noisy as the HD's make a lot of noise coupled with the fans. The worse thing about the noise are two 120gig western digital drives I have. I love them, but becasue they are identical the noise frequencies combine and make a lot more noise then 2 different drives would

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Man, you sure butchered that poor old thing. :p

I've been thinking about adding an ATA/100 controller and IBM 120GB drive to my G4, too. My old ATA/33 20 gig just ain't cuttin' it no more, I'm afraid! I want to make her last as long as I can.

Biker21098

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2002
CA
my 20 failed

My 20 gig failed about 4months ago. I lost tons of important stuff, thankful no actual video files. Just the apps. I took it as a good sign to upgrade to OS X so i bought a 80 gig and never looked back. My PM450 can hold its own, it does look butchered but it runs great. If i ever have money maybe ill buy a new ?G5? sometime in the future. I was lucky when i got mu PM450, it came accidently with the DVD-RAM drive instead of the DVD-ROM. since that good sign its run great. anyway ya tiem to upgrade my 20 gig just dumped all its stuff, nothing mechanically wrong just lots its ability to store info. Went away one weekend, when I got back my Mac was booting off of its 2nd HD with different old setting etc. I knew something was up. Might send the drive to DriveSavers someday. about $1000 to recover the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.