"Number of Instances/Windows" Indicator on Finder Icon in Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mryan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. mryan macrumors newbie

Is there any method or application that can make the "Number of Instances/Windows" appear as an overlay on the Finder icon in Dock?

I would like to see something like you'd see when you have new mail waiting in Mail or Thunderbird.

I would love to get this to work if you have multiple Firefox windows open as well.

Would Docktopus work in this situation? It doesn't appear to have a badge that handles the number of open windows or application instances.

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure you can only have one "instance" of an application open at any one time, so the dock indicator accomplishes that already.

As for the number of windows, not sure you can do anything there. Personally I have never had more than 1 window open in a web browser in ages since tabs were introduced. All I can suggest is mastering Exposé, or right clicking on the Dock icon and seeing the list of windows there.

3. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

The indicators are built into the application, they arn't an addon. If you feel like running the Finder though a decompiler and trying to add it, be my guest. Otherwise, I'd suggest at looking at Finder replacements.