Number of Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tech324, May 6, 2015.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

I have a 2015 13" MBP and I was wondering if anyone has hooked up three monitors in any combination of 1080P, 4K, etc? Can it power at least one 4K with two 1080p monitors smoothly?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Directly from the spec sheet:
    Which you can read here:
    http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

You can have a single 4k display and one other( none 4k).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's from the 2014 15" column. The 2015 13" is:

- Actually, you can have two 4K (see above), but I'm betting not both at 60Hz.

5. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping you could have 3 external monitors since there are two thunderbolt and one hdmi port.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You might be able to, but they would all have to be below 4K, I think.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats

How I see it too.

8. campyguy macrumors 68030

I think you should ignore everyone else in this thread and listen to me - they're not fully informed (except for JTToft, who's participated in another thread relevant to the following info).

I do have two 4k displays attached to my late-2013 rMBP, and am getting 4k 60Hz performance from my two Dell P2715Q displays in addition to full performance from my rMBP's built-in display. But that's not what you're looking for, I'm surmising?

I informed MR of two new products that can potentially get you 3-4 additional DVI-D displays, courtesy of Matrox. MR has ignored my email to them. :mad: They've evolved their dual and triple display products, and they're citing that they can be "piggybacked" - they're essentially external video cards in proprietary video breakout boxes. I posted links in another thread.
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_me/
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/digital_se/

The key here is this is the first two Mac products Matrox has offered that provides Yosemite support.

I recommend that you contact Matrox - who has supported the Mac platform for 20+ years - you could get one 4k display connected via one TB/DP port and 2-4 more DVI-D displays connected via a Matrox solution. That company helped me while I was co-designing two light rail alignments in the early '90s, and they treated me like a human - just like last week when I called them for other reasons. Nice, that.

Disclosure: I have no vested interest in Matrox other than hoping they continue Mac support for the next 100-odd years. :D

9. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are using a 2013 MBP, are you running Maverick or Yosemite? Two 4K monitors with 60z is pretty good. I would probably either do that but I was also maybe thinking of doing 3 1080p with the two thunderbolt and one HDMI (if possible, would be interesting to see if anyone has done this). If I can only do two external monitors period I would probably go the 4k route. I thought the MBP had issues with 4k let alone two 4k monitors. Are you experiencing lag with two 4k?

10. campyguy macrumors 68030

One reinforcement - cited in my previous post - I am using a late-2013 rMBP, as opposed to an early-2013 or older or classic MBP. Big difference. Also, my rMBP has a discrete nVidia 750M GPU.

I'm using Yosemite - the latest 10.10.3 update, which includes a significant update to the nVidia drivers. I couldn't drive the two displays I own with 10.10.2 - period; I'd bought two displays to protect my future investment, but had worked directly with Apple to find out what the limitations with their OS and drivers were, to no avail. When 10.10.3 dropped, I was very surprised to find that I can use both of my 4k displays @4k and @60Hz - in an extended Desktop, and also use my rMBP's internal display. I use my displays in a landscape-landscape-landscape or landscape-portrait-portrait configuration as I see fit. Furthermore, they're all at "HiDPI" - not blurry/fuzzy at all - in either portrait or landscape mode. I'm old, and a long-time tech writer and CAD user - I HATE HATE HATE fuzziness.

Macs had issues with 4k displays. Two things changed recently - newer SST displays, and (more importantly) 10.10.3. There's one other gripe others have had with "fuzziness" and "lag" - at least, with the Dell displays I am using daily I have none of the problems others are having.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matrox comes out with a DP-or mDP-based solution in the next few months - they've been "stuck" on 10.8-or-earlier solutions until 10.10.3 came out. Call them, I'm sure they'd share with you if you'd ask...

I'm watching Google's YouTube 4k videos (for fun) or mashing up my own 4k videos in FCPX - I really can't believe how clear the videos are on these displays. There's at least one other poster in the loooooong thread who's got 2 P2715Q displays set up like mine (after I posted that it works) and has offered how thrilled he/she is.

So, I'll certify that I'm very, very happy with my set up. :D