Number of questions about the ATV.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by edenbensal, Dec 7, 2013.

1. edenbensal macrumors regular

Hello,
    I want to purchase the 3th generation Apple TV and have a few questions about him.

1) The last ATV version (6.2) support for HEBREW language?
    2) Can I use AirPlay with my Mac Mini even if he is not close to the ATV and control it (using a wireless keyboard / Apple Remote)? It is important to note that my Mac Mini is connected to my home network through wired connection and I'll buy an ATV I'll connect him also through wired connection and not through Wi-Fi.
    3) If I convert movies into a format iTunes supports and moves them to my iTunes library I could play them through my ATV?

2. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

1) Likely, but I am not 100% sure, just 98% - there are a myriad of languages native to AppleTV
    2) Yes. My Mac Mini is in my basement office and wired to a router. The router is wired to the Apple TV. Airplay and the Apple Remote app work EXCEEDINGLY well from all levels in my home.
    3) Yes. I have over 400 movies in iTunes currently (ripped from Make MKV to Handbrake into .m4v. Easy as spinning a dreidel!

Good Luck!

3. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

Number of questions about the ATV.

Thanks for your help!
    I'll be able to control my mac mini through airplay mirroring with wireless keyboard/apple remote?

4. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

Yes, as long as you are in range (wirelessly).

It can play via AirPlay through our big TV upstairs (thanks to AppleTV).

You can also mirror an iPad or iPhone.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Can you add a few steps for doing this? Are you finding these via an ipad or iphone? What app do you use to see the movies on the hardrive and then play them?

6. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

How can I connect my 3rd generation Apple TV to my home theater BOSE Lifestyle 8 system (1999)?
    In the BOSE reciver there isn't optical output just analog.
    what the solution for this issue?

7. tingen macrumors newbie

You Can do it with a Airport Express. I have mine connected to my sonos.

8. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

So you want sound for your movies ? I'f so the home theatre system should be connected to the audio out of the tv.

Or if you want the Bose to act as an independent Sterio for music only then you could connect it via airport express as suggested above.

You have a third option if your mini is new enough to support screen mirroring (this is different to iTunes sending a I've to apple tv) you can tell as the mirror icon appears on the menu/status bar at top of screen. If you have this you can play movie on ATV via this multi screen mirroring and plug the Bose directly into the mini sterio out.

9. edenbensal thread starter macrumors regular

I have these ports on my TV (LG4250FR):
    [​IMG]
    To what port I need connect my BOSE receiver?

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

11. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

@benasal1992 - yes as per @priitv8. You may need a cable converter (cheap) - I have one to connect my speakers to my TV. Speakers are jackplug, tv is dual RCA so I have something like this link
    Your connection will depend upon the input to the Bose.

When you've set this up you'll need to set speakers / audio-out option on the tv control menu

12. QWERTYMac7 macrumors regular

I watch all my movies via iTunes - just like listening to music.

There are numerous threads on Handbrake - the last step in the process to make a m4v file out of a DVD or MKV file.

Make MKV 'opens' Blu-ray disks so Handbrake can compress them.

Once in iTunes, I play them - via Apple TV - on my TV. I access the entire iTunes collection with the Apple Remote app on iPad and iPhones(2).

Hopefully this is a good start for you...