Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joydens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Hi, got my SS watch Friday as a surprise and thin its great. One thing though that I am finding frustrating is the haptic feedback. Even at its strongest setting if I am doing anything in the slightest bit active then I miss them because they just are not strong enough.

It doesn't help that in a lot of cases the notification is just one tap which is all too easily missed but on other occasions the notification is two taps and I find I don't generally miss those. However for the life of me I cannot fathom any pattern as to when I get one tap or two!

I thought it was 1 tap for mail, 2 for messages but then every now and again they reverse and I get a double tap for a mail message and a single tap for a message.

Should there be a different number of taps for different notifications does anyone know? If so the fact it varies at times is that done to a 'feature'?

thanks.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Hi, got my SS watch Friday as a surprise and thin its great. One thing though that I am finding frustrating is the haptic feedback. Even at its strongest setting if I am doing anything in the slightest bit active then I miss them because they just are not strong enough.

It doesn't help that in a lot of cases the notification is just one tap which is all too easily missed but on other occasions the notification is two taps and I find I don't generally miss those. However for the life of me I cannot fathom any pattern as to when I get one tap or two!

I thought it was 1 tap for mail, 2 for messages but then every now and again they reverse and I get a double tap for a mail message and a single tap for a message.

Should there be a different number of taps for different notifications does anyone know? If so the fact it varies at times is that done to a 'feature'?

thanks.
You can turn on Prominent Haptic under Sounds & Haptics in the watch settings, this will make it more predominant, I personally used it for the first couple of weeks and am now acclimated enough to use it with it off.

I agree about the number of taps, they should allow you to customize it, the same way you can adjust the vibrations on you iPhone under the Accessibility setting. Then you can apply that custom pattern to any specific alert you like. Maybe in their next OS.

joydens

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Thanks, trying to avoid Prominent Haptic in the hope I get used to recognising the standard one. Still confused as to why sometimes I get one tap and on other occasions its two taps.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Thanks, trying to avoid Prominent Haptic in the hope I get used to recognising the standard one. Still confused as to why sometimes I get one tap and on other occasions its two taps.

it's all very subtle. So anything that causes your body to vibrate will probably mean you won't feel the tap.
This is very very noticeable when driving!!

In my opinion Apple should write a routine to adapt vibration intensity according to background movement. They already have accelerometers and gyroscopes, so look at those and if needed, increase the power of the taptic feedback so that you can actually sense it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I hope Apple is listening as I do not feel even a prominent tap if up and moving around. They need to give the users some options like 5 or 10 taps. In a noisy environment the "little ding" is also useless!

Reactions: jannette
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.