number pad on my keyboard doesn't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by louridge, Jan 15, 2014.

1. louridge macrumors newbie

My number pad doesn't work on my macbook pro, only the 0 number. I've used the shift button and checked my the system preferences and nothing seems to work….. please help as I am new to this and I don't know how to fix it.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple laptops haven't had number keypads (imbedded within the letters) for several years.
    Do you mean the row of number keys?
    Or, are you using an external keyboard, and that keypad doesn't function?

Is this using a particular app - or any time that you try to type a number, there's no response? Be sure to also press the shift key before pressing a number key, to see if that makes a difference.

4. louridge thread starter macrumors newbie

number pad not working

Macbook pro thirteen inches, Yes sorry, I meant the row of numbers that don't work and I've tried shifting and changing the system preferences on my keyboard and nothing…. still only 0 works, unless I'm doing something wrong in system preferences, but anything you can suggest will be very helpful :)

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sure…
    test your keyboard.
    Go to System Prefs, then Language & Text.
    Go to the Input Sources tab, and check the box next to "Keyboard and Character Viewer"
    You'll get a new icon in your menubar.Click on that icon, and click Show Keyboard Viewer.
    You will then see an on-screen keyboard.
    Press and release each key on your real keyboard, and each key will respond by highlighting then returning to off when you release. Try all the keys.
    Hold the Shift key, or the Command or Option or Control, to see what each does to modify the rest of the keyboard. Press and release each number key, and you will quickly see if the keyboard is OK (or not)
    The row of f-keys won't necessarily respond (because those keys have different purposes), but those are probably not related to what else you have.

6. louridge thread starter macrumors newbie

everything highlighted but numbers

Thank you very much,
    I have checked it all out and everything is highlighted but the numbers when I press them, Do you know what this means. Does that mean there is something wrong with the keyboard then????
    I haven't even had my mac a year and already its faulty :(

7. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Yep. But the good thing is you haven't had it a year which means it should be under warranty if you bought from Apple or an authorized reseller.