Number Pad vs. No Number Pad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zw-gator, Aug 14, 2009.

?

Re: Number pad on your keyboard

1. The keyboard I use has a number pad, and I use it

34 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. The keyboard I use has a number pad, but I never use it

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. The keyboard I use doesn't have a number pad, and I don't miss it

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. The keyboard I use doesn't have a number pad, and I do miss it

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I just bought an Apple wireless keyboard without a number pad. I realized I haven’t even thought about using the number pad on my keyboard I've owned in the past.

Anyone use a number pad? If so, why?

I’m suppressed more companies are not jumping on the keyboard sans number pad.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I used num pad in my old desktop very rarely. Only if I was working with calculator or other numeric app. I like the small wired keyboard more, it fits better on my desk than full sized did

3. Arn1499 macrumors member

Part of my research (grad student in chemistry) involves crunching a ton of numbers - so I use the 10 key pad quite often. Other than that, I guess it's just a habit of mine when typing to slide over and key in the numbers, other than the scarce single digit or so :D

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I use it whenever I have more than 3 digits or so to punch in. I've gotten decently fast with 10-key pads from entering credit card purchases at my job, so I find it handy from punching in lots of numbers.

5. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

typing phone numbers and using the calculator is really easy with my keyboard w/ number pad. plus, i use the return key at the end of the keyboard when i am switching over to my mouse.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I've got a number pad. I'd miss it for work, but not really for home. As another poster mentioned, it's useful for 2 things: phone numbers and credit cards. I don't use either one too much, so I wouldn't miss it at home.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use a keyboard with a number pad. I wouldn't buy a keyboard for my iMac without a number pad.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I have the wireless keyboard and I don't miss the number pad. Not many people I know have to enter in long strings of digits. One thing that puzzles me is the num-lock. Is there a point in num-lock for keyboards with number pads? Some people who have the keyboard with number pad complained how Apple sucks and the number pad doesn't work and when all they needed to do was press num-lock. What the heck is it for? Or is some sort of crap Microsoft made to screw the users?

9. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

The voting seems split with people that have it and use it and people that don't and wouldn't. I obviously don't have one on my MBP but I don't think I'd use one if it did. I kinda see the logic with the wired pad-less keyboard.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Seriously, do you enjoy hating on MS just because you think it's the cool thing to do?

here's the history.

11. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I don't need to the number pad but I feel like it comes in handy at random times. If you made me choose between the two, I'd pick the one with number pad. I feel like using the horizontal numbers to do simple numbering entering is a pain when a number pad can make it so much quicker as long as you are use to using it a bit. I guess therefore, I vote keyboard with number pad.

12. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i miss my number pad on my PC keyboard and i used to use the number pad every time i had to punch in a number and i was really quick with it.... now im on my MBP 13 inch and that just about the only thing i miss about external keyboards.... i may buy an external number pad if i ever do anything regarding numbers again for a job or something but for now ill make do

13. phjo macrumors regular

I don't care much for the number pad, and if Apple would manufacture a keyboard with a glass touchpad in place of the number pad, I would order it immediately...

(and btw, I think it is sad to see that despite Apple has such a lead in touchpad ease of use and functionality, these keyboards would have been available for the PC line ages before Apple... See the sony all-in-one PCs to see what I mean...)

phjo

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...my prev gen iMac came with the keyboard w/ number pad... I also have a wireless and wired number pad for my laptops for times when they are needed... they all come in handy but I've got enough equipment that if I were to buy a new machine tomorrow it wouldn't matter what it came with...

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's a lot faster to type numbers in the number pad than trying to type using the number keys on the top row of the keyboard.

16. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I used to 'do' desktop computers, but have switched to laptops. With my iMacs, I always had full size keyboards with number pads. It's the only thing I miss from my desktop days. But I get by.