Number pad won't work under bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mrkramer, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I am on a mac Mini, and I have bootcamp installed with XP. when I am in Leopard the number pad works, but when I am booted into XP it does not. The keyboard is a wired apple keyboard, the white one not the alluminum. if anyone has any ideas to fix this it would be appreciated.

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

ok this might seem mad at first.

Go into wordpad or similar and type out some text (anything will do).
    Now press left on the arrow keys a few times so the flashing bar (can never remember the name) is in the middle of the text.

Now press 4 and/or 6. Does the flashing bar move left and right. If it does it means you need to activate the numlock (so the numbers work as the keyboard is dual function on windows). The numlock is usually above the 7 on a windows keyboard. As to how you do that with a mac keyboard, as thats where the clear looks to be, well thats another matter.

If it doesn't work, I haven't got a clue apart from maybe you need some specific drivers installing for the keyboard.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It isn't turned on all the time in Windows like it is in Leopard. To turn it on press the "Clear" button, which functions as the "Num Lock" button in Windows ;)

4. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

5. JoeCanadian macrumors member

Thanks as well

I had the same problem and the CLEAR key on aluminium keyboard does operate like the NUM Lock Key when booted into XP via Boot Camp. Thanks for this thread.

6. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Nice post! Thanks.

7. sbibiz macrumors newbie

where is it? Next to? I don't understand what button you are talking about.
    thanks. :eek:

8. valvehead macrumors regular

Is this the keyboard you have? Try the key between F16 and 7 (on the number pad).

9. cranbers macrumors newbie

haha, wow that is dumb. I had this issue, its amazing what a quick google search does.

Press the clear button to use a mac keyboard in windows with the number pad.

I was going to be super pissed if my new keyboard's num pad didn't work in windows, that's why I bought it! haha I had the nice fansy wireless mini keyboard, but being a networking guy who types ip addresses in for a living. Yeah you gotta have it:)

Thanks guys. ;)

10. mar1300 macrumors newbie

Nice post! Best answer I've seen all day! Nice and simple worked perfectly.

11. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Has to be one of the funniest threads I've read. Good info.

12. LucyElista macrumors newbie

LeviG do you have to press 4 and 6 at the same time?