Number Porting Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gpatrick15, Sep 16, 2010.

1. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

So I finally ordered my iPhone 4 today (!!!). I chose the 16gb version. My question is: Since my t-mobile contract is up on the 23rd, and it takes ~a week to ship, I ordered today so I won't experience any lag time. When will the number porting process start? When I plug the iPhone into iTunes to activate? Or immediately?

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

you're gonna have to follow the instructions when you get the phone. Then the porting will start at that point. It can take anywhere from 0-48hrs... Immediately is usual, unless there is an issue getting your number released from the old carrier

3. gpatrick15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response!

So if I get it before my contract is up, as long as I don't activate it I'll be fine right? I initiate the porting process when I start the activation? My concern is because on the email I received, it said

Now that I read it again, I realize that it won't be possible to have full service until I activate the phone, which starts the porting process. Correct?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Your AT7T account will not be activated till you activate your phone in iTunes. Until then the number is still assigned to your t-mobile phone and your t-mobile account is active.