Number Porting Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmcdn, Sep 17, 2014.

1. pmcdn macrumors regular

I ordered a new iP6 to be added to a family acct. When I ordered with VZW over the phone I gave them the number and info that they requested to port the number over when I activate it.

I am about to sell my existing iPhone today. I'm guessing that it won't matter when the buyer pulls my sim card out and used their own service? My existing phone acct is still active and that is sufficient to port my number over to my new VZW iPhone when I activate, right?

In other words, selling my iPhone before I get the new one shouldn't affect porting the number over, right?

2. davefromca macrumors 6502

I was actually going to ask a similar question. Like selling on swappa, do you pull your old sim out? Or once you activate your new phone the sim will automatically deactivate until someone else activates on their account/number.

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I would pull your SIM out before selling it. The SIM will be no use to the buyer and you should protect yourself. Also, I'm not so sure you can just swap SIMs around in Verizon phones like you can with AT&T. Maybe someone else can verify. In the olden days of LTE, the SIM was just used for LTE and the 2G/3G stuff was still linked to the phone itself. For that reason, i'm not trading in my current phone until i have the new phone working properly with the service transferred over.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The SIM should definitely not be included when you sell it. Sim should be removed and the phone restored (erased).

As for being needed to port your number, not at all. Numbers are ported to and from land lines, different models of phones, different providers, etc. The sim plays no part in it at all. It's all about records held at the phone company.

If you're staying with the same company and your old iPhone used a nano-SIM, you can use your old SIM. If not, it's just a worthless piece of metal and plastic.

5. pmcdn thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know. My plan is to let them see it, test it, etc. and then when they hand me money, I'll do a full erase of data, etc. and remove the sim.

Thanks!