Number Porting Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cwalex18, Dec 13, 2008.

1. cwalex18 Guest

I don't know if someone here knows the answer to this question, but here it goes. If my contract with Sprint ends on Dec. 17th, can I go to an AT&T store on Dec. 17th and port over my number from Sprint without the early termination fee? I guess my question is does the contract expiration date really mean that at midnight on that day, your phone contract expires. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. whickey macrumors newbie

I would wait until Dec 18th just to be sure. Unless someone here know Sprint's billing procedures down pat...I don't think you'll be able to get a reliable answer to this one.

I would just kindly call Sprint and make sure that your contract doesn't auto-renew, if it does...tell them you want to go month-to-month.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

The date it expires is the date it expires, but i would wait a day.

I just ported over my gf from Verizon. We just made sure her contract was up and then at the apple store ported the number and she was up and running in 30 min.

It auto cancels your contract with your other provider.

4. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I was with Sprint and I waited until the next day. I also got went to my online account the day I was porting my number and took a screenshot of my account where it said it had "expired". (just in case they later tried to charge me the ETF)

I called them a few different times and asked exactly when my contract ended and I got different answers, so to be safe I waited the extra day.

At one point I was also told that you could cancel your contract anytime in the last 30 days without an ETF but when I called back and asked I was told this is wrong. :confused:

I just sucked it up and waited.

Good luck

Eric

5. Tufelhunden macrumors member

What I did was pick up the phone early and got a temporary number. I then porter my numbers 2 days after expiration just to make sure.

6. cwalex18 thread starter Guest

Thanks for your replies. I have another question, though a little off the iPhone topic. I currently have a family share plan on sprint with two phone numbers. On the day (or day after) the contract expires, I plan to port one of those numbers to Verizon and one to AT&T. Can i do both port requests on the same day and should I tell Sprint/Verizon/AT&T that I am doing multiple port requests? I don't want to do one and have it cancel out both numbers before I can complete the second port.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Don't worry about the exact date your contract ends, as they are likely going to try to charge you an ETF anyways. They did this to me. It's just part of Sprint's normal billing procedures now; you know, how they make money instead of offering good service and quality devices.

On the brightside, you'll likely be able to fight with them for a few a day or 2, and they'll likely wave your whole bill in the end. Just be sure to mention that Sprint is known for extending contracts without the account owner's knowledge and that you want a copy of the contract you signed approving the contract extension. Remind them what they are doing is illegal and will be reported to the BBB. This worked for me. They ended up waving my last month's bill in addition. Bastards.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

When I got the iPhone, I ported my number from a Sprint family plan with three lines on it while leaving the other two on Sprint. My number was the primary number, so when I cancelled that line of service with them, they cancelled the entire plan all together. The remaining two lines were then billed per minute used. It was ridiculous. I would go ahead and try to do both ports on the same day, but you might want to call all three carriers after you do so just to make sure everything is the way you want it.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, this sounds like the Sprint I know...

10. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Another Porting Question:

I am going to switch from Sprint to AT&T but I will be keeping both accounts. Can I switch my current Sprint number over to AT&T without closing my Sprint account?

I am keeping Sprint and giving the account to my mom. I need that number because my friends send a bunch of those dirty Text videos and I've had this number for 10+ years.

11. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I also have a question regarding porting numbers, but its a port from a different state. My wife and I have verizon, she wants to keep her number but she got that number 4 years ago in Chicago, now we have moved and we are in Delaware, she wants to keep her number, how can we port her number to ATT. If we give her old chicago zip to port and once the port is done, then call and change our billing address to delaware. With this option I just have one question, I have heard that ATT can disconnect the services if they find out that the phone is being used i.e Roaming more than 50% So i don't know how this will work. Any suggestions.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Here's the deal. I had to do this with our family plan that was out-of-town. You definitely can go into an AT&T store in Delaware and port over Chicago area code, even if you give them a Delaware billing address (your home). It's really easy to do and they're not pulling any strings to do this - it's all legal. Now, there's a big catch though: all member of a family plan must have phone numbers from same area code (there may be exceptions to this as very large cities may have multiple area codes). You will likely not be able to have a Chicago area code with a couple other Delaware area codes. You will likely have the choice to: pick up new Chicago area phone numbers in exchange for your Delaware numbers, she drops her Chicago number for a Delaware one, or you just don't include her in your family plan (then everyone gets to keep their number, but at a cost).

As for your roaming question, this has nothing to do with roaming as AT&T probably has service to both areas. Remember, roaming does not mean using your phone in a different area code than the billing area code. Roaming means using your phone on a non-AT&T network.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

If you're asking whether you can have a phone number account existing for both Sprint and AT&T, then no, you can't do this. Just port your number over to AT&T (which will cancel your existing Sprint account automatically) and have your Mom get her own account wherever she wants (or have her just sign up for AT&T too and get a family plan).

14. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

This sounds good, The family plan will be just me and my wife. I can let her have her chicago number and I can get a new chicago number as you posted in your reply as one of the options. So now with this information, I am excited to go to the ATT store.

Do I go the att store and tell them I need to port the chicago number. Is there ATT documentation stating this.

Thanks

15. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

That's for sure. Because of that, I switched to Verizon and now to At&t.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm not sure if there is documentation, but just go to the AT&T store and tell them you to port your wife's out-of-area number to AT&T and then add another line to that account to start a family plan. Should be fairly simple.

17. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

No, I want her to keep the account the same because its only $28 a month for 500 minutes and everything else unlimited. The text, web, mobile to mobile, nation wide long distance is all unlimited.

I just want to keep the sprint account open for her and I want to transfer over the number from Sprint to AT&T. Am I able to do that?