Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chipandegg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
UK
I've got lots of pdfs which I need to put on my iPad, the thing is they are all labeled as Tutorial.pdf - there are about 20 of them.

Is there a quick way to number them e.g. Tutorial 1, Tutorial 2 etc - instead of numbering them individually

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've got lots of pdfs which I need to put on my iPad, the thing is they are all labeled as Tutorial.pdf - there are about 20 of them.

Is there a quick way to number them e.g. Tutorial 1, Tutorial 2 etc - instead of numbering them individually

Thanks

For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
In Lion (maybe an earlier OS too, I'm not sure) you can move each "Tutorial" file into the same folder, and choose "Keep Both Files" when prompted. This will create a list of files named

Tutorial
Tutorial copy
Tutorial copy 2...

Then use Automator to renumber the files with cleaner names:
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/11/11/mac-automation-rename-multiple-files-efficiently/

----------

For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger.

Nice, Name Mangler is a good idea too. I suppose you could drag and drop your 20 or so files from their various locations, renumber them, and then collect all the newly numbered files into one folder and voila.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.