Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckylefty01

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
In my app I need to be able to enter decimal numbers. At the moment, there's no really appropriate keyboard for this, the only real choice is to use the numbers and punctuation keyboard, but it's not really a great choice since the numbers are too small.

What would be pretty close to ideal would be if it was possible to add a decimal point in the bottom left of the numberpad style keyboard. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to do this?

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
As far as I know, there is no way to customize the keyboard for a decimal button. That said, there is another way to accomplish what you need to do.

Hint: ATMs don't have decimal buttons either. You can mimic ATM functionality using the UITextField delegate methods.

I still haven't released my app, so I don't want to give away all my secrets quite yet ;) . Think ATM, though, and you should be fine.

Best of luck. Hopefully Apple releases a keyboard to fit the purpose soon. If you haven't already, submit the enhancement request through bugreporter.

luckylefty01

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Oh thanks, I hadn't thought of that.

Not all my uses have to deal with money, so ideally I'd like to have the decimal point be flexible (i.e. the ability to enter 5, 5.5, or 5.25544) without having to resort to hard coding a precision, but on the other hand I think those delegate methods will give me a good way to do something else I was looking to do, which is a nice plus. So that'll work nicely for now.

Good luck on your app:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.