Numbers '09 Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djellison, Jan 6, 2009.

1. djellison macrumors 68020

Looks like this is a bit of a beta. Anyone tried adding custom error bars to a scatter diagram? The whole thing chokes.

2. jdhardin macrumors newbie

Numbers '09 error bars

Keynote '09 doesn't even let one access the custom error bars feature (it's grayed out), so I agree this is very buggy. It worked for me in Numbers, but all it allows is setting the same custom bars for each datum! What we really need to do is to enter an error bar value for each bar in a bar chart (or scatter point in a scatter plot), and the new feature doesn't seem to allow this. Thus it's basically not useable. Sigh...

3. FMMOLA macrumors newbie

Custom error bars in Numbers '09 - it Works in iWorks

Hei guys,

I though you're right with the "beta software", but would we expect this from Apple?

In any case it took me some time but it is possible to add custom error bars in Numbers '09 in a following way:

1. You have a Data set that contains the "values" (1st column) and the "stdev/sterr" (2nd column). You paste the data set in the Table.

2. Highlight the "values" column (all values you want to use to make chart), click on <Chart> and choose your chart type (I chose bar type)

3. Click on your chart and go to Inspector>Charts>Advanced

4. Choose error bars (Positive, Negative, or both as you wish)
    Note: this will display a default error bars in your chart

5. Now choose <Custom> and then click on the the error bar (just one is enough, I did it with the first one) in your chart.

6. Now it is possible to paste the custom values for stdev/sterr into the empty <positive> and/or <negative> placeholder cells.

7. Just highlight the "stdev/sterr" (2nd column) in the Data Table (from step 1) and it will add there your custom stdev/sterr values.
    Note: it should look like: Table 1 :: C2:C36; meaning - from Table 1 add to all data bars stdev from cells C2 to C36.

I guess it should work in Keynote and Pages but I haven't tested that.

...and that's it. Good luck!