Numbers 1-9 have suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CyrusB, Oct 3, 2008.

1. CyrusB macrumors newbie

The number keys on my Macbook suddenly stopped working not long ago. Seemingly no other keys are affected.

I haven't dropped the laptop, or spilled drinks on it. It's about 2 years old, and out of warranty.

I mostly use it for surfing so I'm not exactly sure when it happened. I only noticed when updating it yesterday with the java update, when I could no longer enter my administrator password, so maybe it was the result of the previous update.

I can use num-lock to use the numeric keypad, but obviously the numbers 7,8 and 9 are simply not possible to use. Luckily none of these numbers are used in my passwords.

I followed the advice with keyboards available from the Apple site, the keyboard is set correctly (Swiss German).

Obviously I'm hoping it's something simple, don't really want to resort to taking the thing apart.

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

how about the ` key and the - and the = keys? how about if you hit shift? what about delete? if none the keys work, I would say you probably have a failing keyboard and need to replace the top case. good news though, they're not too pricey on ebay.

3. CyrusB thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, neither the numbers nor the shifted characters work. It's bizarre it's so specific, why only 1-9 and not 0?

I'm trying to get hold of a USB keyboard and see if it really is the keyboard. It might be a bit harder to get a cheap top case here in switzerland, the German ebay site has them at a reasonable price, but not sure if it's the right type, and would rather get one from the UK I guess. Are they interchangeable between languages?

4. mrhafthor macrumors newbie

Exactly the same as mine

I have exactly the same problem. Mine is 2 years old and nothing has ever happened to it, no spills or drops. The numbers from 1-9 don't work but 0 does. What's your progress on your laptop?