Numbers and syncing

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jwc6160, Mar 26, 2013.

1. jwc6160 macrumors member

Couple of questions regarding numbers. I have never used it so I am a novice. My main question is will Numbers sync between my devices and my Mac? My wife and I keep a credit card spreadsheet (excel) on the Mac and we constantly have receipts piling up. I would like to be able to enter info in a spreadsheet on my phone and have it sync to her phone and my Mac or vice versa. Is this possible? I don't want to pay for numbers on the devices and my Mac if they won't sync.

Thanks.

2. joshforman macrumors regular

Yeah, it uses iCloud to sync between iOS devices and osx.

3. jwc6160 thread starter macrumors member

Great, so if I buy numbers for iOS and for Mac, any spreadsheet created in there can be edited and synced throughout my iOS devices and Mac?

Thanks again

4. jive turkey macrumors 6502

They will sync automatically as long as you choose to store your documents in the cloud. You can store documents on your devices, but that would require you to sync each device with iTunes for them to show up.

One thing you should know, though, is that the iOS version of Numbers doesn't support several things that the desktop version does, mainly conditional formatting and some sorting options. If you create a spreadsheet on your Mac with these things and then sync, it will remove the formatting. So be prepared to keep your spreadsheet a little plain, or do all of your formatting and some of your sorting on a case by case basis.

5. jwc6160 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I'm still missing something. I have numbers on my iPhone and now on my Mac. What I want to do is create a spreadsheet on one of the devices and have it automatically sync. For example, I create a sheet on my Mac with credit card transactions. I would like to be able enter a new item using my iPhone and have it automatically sync with the sheet on my Mac. Is there a way to do this without going to iCloud.com and saving the sheet there each time?

Thanks for the help

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

1) You need a Mac with Mountain Lion.
    2) You need the Mac App Store version of Numbers on the Mac, in addition to the iOS version on your devices.
    3) You need to save the document to iCloud.
    4) You need to have the same iCloud account enabled on all of your devices.

7. jwc6160 thread starter macrumors member

So basically every time I make a change to the spreadsheet on the Mac, I'll have to upload it to iCloud before the changes will be made on my iPhone??

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Nope. If you meet the above conditions, it will sync automatically.

9. jwc6160 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean save it to iCloud, do I have to do this just once? For example, I
    Create the doc, save it to desktop, then I would i have to save to iCloud.com? Then after all that is done, I can edit the sheet on my desktop and it should sync to all devices???

Sounds like I am just missing mountain lion. I am currently using Lion for my Mac.

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

iCloud is the location that you would choose to save your document.

e.g. You can save the document to your desktop or to your Documents folder or to iCloud.

Yes.

iCloud.com has nothing to do with it.

If you created the doc on your desktop, you would need to move it to iCloud.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/28/move-file-to-icloud-from-mac-os-x/

If you create the document on an iOS device, it is automatically saved to iCloud. If you create the document on Mountain Lion, you have the choice of saving it to iCloud or locally on your Mac.

Yep.

Yep.