numbers.app default format *.xls ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feuerschlange, Mar 25, 2009.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

How do I set numbers.app '09, to default process all files in Excel format.

At the moment, I always read Excel files, work on them and have to "command+shift+s" for saving + a seperate tick in the "save a copy as xls" field.

This drives me nuts. Normally, I just work on a file, "cmd+s" to save my work and "cmd+w" or "cmd+q" to close the Window/ program.

The same applies to pages.app, which I would prefer as my standard text writer.

Unfortunately all my customers/ coworkers work on Windows with Office 2003/ 2007 and expect these formats.

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Options Not available. Save copy as.... is the nearest.
    Excel defaults to xls, ~ Numbers defaults to Numbers.
    Word defaults to several formats depending on the year ~ Pages defaults to Pages.

Neo Office or Open Office are options for word & excel clones.
    S.

3. Kevin L. macrumors member

This seems crazy; there should be a preference setting that if you're opening a native .xls file, then when you go to save it, it will default to .xls
    Can anyone suggest a way to program a macro or something else to get around this? I decided to go exclusively with iWork 09 but I have to open and edit .xls files day in and day out. I assumed it would be more streamlined.

4. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

If you want and need to work with excel files buy excel or use a clone.
    Don't expect Numbers to be an excel clone ~ It isn't.

Check out the User Guide accessed under Numbers on the menu bar.

5. Kevin L. macrumors member

I'm desiring to use Numbers by default because it's way faster than Office 2008, and in my opinion, way better. I just feel that in the cross-platform business world, there's got to be a way to open, edit and then easily re-save native xls spreadsheets. Oh well.

6. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Which is, why I use exclusively Excel 2008 on OS X.
    If Apple would figure these small things out, I might even update to iWork 09 for that one feature.