Numbers chart question - putting labels on the actual bar graphics

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethryn Freyman, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

[​IMG]

I have a chart like this with a half dozen bars or something, and by default, Numbers puts the colour-coded keys beneath the graph with their corresponding label.

Is there any way I can get Numbers to have the actual label on the actual bar graphic, for each section?

Like this:

[​IMG]

Any help is appreciated!

2. James Craner, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Hi Jethryn

So I Think what you are trying to achieve is this :

Untitled-1.png

It is a little fiddly, but possible in Numbers. We are going to make use of Numbers ability to allow custom value labels, by default value labels shows the value of the data element, but you can also define custom value, including text.

First Create your stacked data chart as usual.

Then Select the first row stacked chart series, in the screenshot above the first series is 'West'. Click the Chart Inspector in the Inspector Panel, and turn on the checkbox for value labels. By default this will show the value, but click on the dropdown format box and choose custom.

Chart Custom Value Labels-1.png

This will open a custom format panel, as shown below. Enter the Label that you want it to show in this case 'West' and then Click ok.

Chart.png

You will then need to repeat the steps for each item in your X axis to create all your custom labels.

Hope this helps.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

That looks quite tedious. The OP seems to have only a few bars. I usually work with larger datasets (~50 Bars, 5-10 stacks each). It's impossible to do this by hand.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You only have to do it per Series not per data element, 5-10 stacks or Series should not take to long, but i agree it is a bit of a pain. I have amended my original rely to make it a little clearer.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

To do the same thing in Excel 2011 is much easier from the Ribbon, select Chart Layout > Data Labels and choose Series Name.

Microsoft Excel.png