Numbers document shows as folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PowerBook-G5, Jul 20, 2014.

1. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Hello, I created a folder in the Dock to place a few frequently used documents, including a Numbers document. When I try to click on the Numbers document to open it, it only opens as a folder, and I cannot access the contents from my Files folder in the Dock. However, when I go into the Finder and enter the folder from there, the document can be opened correctly. I have rebooted my laptop to see if the problem would be solved, but it still persists. If anyone can help me with this, it would be appreciated. I created a gif to help illustrate what I am seeing, and yes, I do like N.C.I.S.

Untitled.gif

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So now you know - Numbers and Pages documents are not simple files, but actually are (special) folders, called packages. Apparently, the dock ignores the document folder structure.
    One solution is to not select your document from your Dock files folder, but just click on the Open in Finder icon. Your Files folder will open, and then you can double-click on your document, as normal.
    Or, if your fav NCIS file is something that you often open, you could just drag just that NCIS file to the doc, and you would have a single click access from the Dock.

3. PowerBook-G5 thread starter macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Well thank you, but the troubling thing is that I have had the file in the folder for the past two months, and up until this morning, I could open the file from the dock. What could have caused this change?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hard to say what might have caused that.
    Could be some minor glitch in the link from the original folder to the Dock.
    You could try removing that folder icon from the Dock.
    Then, drag the same folder back into the Dock, (creating a new icon in the Dock) which may fix that link.

5. PowerBook-G5, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014

PowerBook-G5 thread starter macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I just tried what you said, and it appears to work now. I'm not sure why I didn't try something that basic though...But thanks!

Edit: Now that I am trying to access the document again, it has reverted to being in a folder Now I just added the document to the Dock, not in a folder, and hopefully it will work correctly now,.