Numbers & Excel Question!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shuffles, Mar 2, 2010.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

I need to create and send an excel file to someone who has a PC and am unsure whether or not to use Apple's or Microsoft's version. It's for business. When I open Microsoft excel on my mac, it opens up with 2 pages like a copy book whereas Numbers opens up with one giant page. Can I change the layout of Microsoft excel so that it looks like one big document? I tried but it's not the same. Is Numbers completely compatible with excel on a PC cuz if it is I'll just use that.

The reason why I'm questioning is because when I send the file to they guy who has the PC, he'll be using formulas etc that I know the Mac version of excel don't have so I'm not sure if it'll be compatible when he sends the file back to me.

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Howdy. If for business purposes, you are better off sending in Excel, not Numbers. Too many things can go wrong.

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

In Excel, the menu marked View-> Normal vs Page Layout

Is that what you're talking about?

Formulas or version specific macros/scripts?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you are using Numbers, you will have to export as an xls file for your friend who uses windows. Don't sweat changing the layout as this should be taken care of when you export from numbers. If you are looking for a way to seamlessly share things with Windows users, I suggest you download and install the freeware OpenOffice.Org It offers to save things in MS formats rather than forcing you to "export" them. You can even set it so it's default formats are MS formats. Don't get rid of iWork, though. There are a lot of things iWork does better than Ooo, it's just nice to have a Mac program that natively reads and writes MS formats without having to actually install Office on your Mac.