Numbers for iOS is bloating my documents

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by fleabite, Nov 10, 2012.

1. fleabite macrumors member

fleabite

I just bought Numbers for iOS today and, as the title says, I am getting some serious file bloat when using it on my iPhone.

When I upload my Numbers spreadsheet from my Mac to iCloud, it is 957 kb in size, and I can see that the size is unchanged in iCloud at this point. When I open it in Numbers on my iPhone, I get a couple of error messages (“Numbers doesn’t support some aspects of the original spreadsheet: All comments were removed; Sheet settings, such as headers and footers, were removed”. I have gotten these error messages on my Mac with this document since I converted it from Excel months ago and have had no problems despite weekly use). Then, when I close the doc on my iPhone and it syncs with iCloud, it takes several minutes and the size of the file jumps to 12 MB! If I open it in Numbers my Mac and resync, it is now down to 1.1 MB. Then opening and syncing it in my iPhone makes it 12 MB again.

I thought maybe Numbers just can’t handle this one spreadsheet, so I made a test document out of one of Number’s samples to see if it would happen with a different spreadsheet. It was originally 165 kb. (By the way, I got some errors when opening that on my iPhone, too.) When I closed this doc on my phone, voila, it’s jumped to 628 kb on iCloud. I can understand a small size increase, but this is a bit much.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Numbers on my iPhone, but no improvement.

For what it is worth, I am running iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S and Numbers ’09 on my Mac, all with the most current updates.

Is anyone else running into this? I could try to ignore it, but downloading a 12 MB file on my mobile takes quite a while on my DSL at home and will probably be totally unreasonable on cellular. I just upgraded to Mountain Lion and bought Numbers for my iPhone today to try this out before investing in an iPad to use for this, but it doesn’t look good.

2. joel6653 macrumors newbie

Same behavior on an iPad

I recently upgraded to Numbers '09 on the iMac, and also bought Numbers for the iPad. I have noticed the same behavior with file sizes. The couple I have looked at tripled (or better) in size.