Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I have created a Numbers file with four sheets to keep track of my X-Wing Miniatures--three sheets, one for each of the three factions (Rebels, Imperial, and Scum and Villainy (S&V)) and the fourth sheet to summarize the data.

I am using the sum function to summarize the number of ships in my collection. E.g., I am using the SUM formula 'S&V Ships'::Table 1: Possession 'Y-Wing'. [Edit: There is no space between the 1 and the P in the formula, but it was necessary to prevent the insertion of an emoji in this post--argh.] Let's say the data for this is in cell G20.

My problem is that when I sort sheet 3 'S&V Ships', the linked cell in sheet 4 with the SUM formula does not stay linked to the proper cell in sheet 3. So, if originally my total for Y-Wings is in sheet 3 cell G:20, my total after sorting may be in sheet 3 cell G2; however, the linked cell on the fourth page still refers to cell G20. Is there a way to force numbers to refer to the correct cell despite sorting the cells into a different order?

*Excel does this automatically, so this is very frustrating :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.