"Numbers" Formatting Conversion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jusacruiser, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

When trying to open my Excel document on my Mac, I am having all sorts of formatting issues. My document is an Excel Document.... but I only have "Numbers" on my computer.

What is the best solution? Buy MS Office? Somebody suggested that there is an "open source" file converter on the internet. Should I use that?

2. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

The Answer is Blowing in the Wind

The answer to your question depends on some things:

1. How often will you do this?
    If you'll be getting Excel files several times a day, you should just buy Office for Mac and install Excel.

2. How important is fixing the formatting issues?
    If the spreadsheet is for your personal use, and you don't care about the formatting, stick with Numbers. If you'll modify these spreadsheets and send them to others who will judge you on the spreadsheet's look, then get Office.

3. How much interactivity is there?
    If you'll modify these spreadsheets and send them back, and the recipients don't have Macs/Numbers, then get Office.

4. How much do you value your time?
    If you're a poor college student who can't even afford beer and you like solving puzzles and you have no social life, get Open Office and do the translation thing you mentioned.

5. Do you want the respect of your peers?
    If you want to become the guy that people go to to get their Mac problems solved, dig into Numbers (there are some videos on Apple's web site and other training) and figure out how to correct the formatting. However, see #4.

Good luck!

3. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

@PatrickCocoa

Thanks for the answer above. I do use a lot of things where I need to use my software for business related tasks.

I am torn. Don't know whether to give up Numbers without a fight.

Where can I get MS Office for Mac?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft.

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Instead of buying Microsoft Office, why not give one of the Office clones a try? NeoOffice, LibreOffice or Open Office

6. svenn macrumors 6502

I would try these, nice since it is free. If you don't want to download, have you tried something like google docs?

7. jusacruiser thread starter macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. I am thinking that I am going to stick with Numbers for a while.

If I was going to try something other than Numbers it would make sense to at that point at least go with MS Office. Having said that, I think I am going to stay with Numbers.