Number's Formula Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Walkaa, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Walkaa macrumors member

Oct 27, 2009
    Im sure im not the first retarded novice to not understand some of numbers workings and im sure theres a simple answer, so here goes:
    ive got a nice 1500 row number spreadsheet with all my products for a business now i have my suppliers cost at full then a discount amount so i have the formula =B*(1-C) which all works fine but how do i get this formula into a whole column so it just works it out for me instead of me compying and pasting into each D-cell?

Walkaa :confused:
  2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2008
    Howdy. First you need a cell reference, but just putting B is to the entire column.

So, put the formula as B3*(1-C3)

Then, selecting that cell (with the formula in it), move the cursor to the lower right corner of the cell, and it will change to a cross-hair. Click and drag down, and it will auto fill the cells.
  3. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2008
    Actually, Numbers is pretty cool in that =B*(1-C) is perfectly valid. You can put that formula in the top cell, then use the "Insert->Fill->Fill Down" column to repeat the function. A specific reference *might* avoid some reference problems as the spreadsheet grows, but I haven't found a case where that's true.

The Excel partisans like to shovel Numbers hate, but ya gotta admit, it is a pretty cool spreadsheet.