Numbers formula question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VIP Livery, Jul 23, 2009.

1. VIP Livery macrumors newbie

I want to have a column that when i enter the value it automatically multiplies that value X 3. Is this possible? If so how. I am a new convert to MAC and really love the capabilities and ease but as always there is a learning curve. Thank you in advance.

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

What program? Any spreadsheet application worthy of the name can do this easily.

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

The Numbers user guide is available under Help on the menu bar while using it.
    For formulas plus + & minus - are as expected multiply is * divide is /

Using two columns while learning is easier:

Type the number into a cell then type = into another cell > click on the cell with the amount you want to multiply > type *3 in the formula cell > click on the green tick to apply.

For more help:
    http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1300

4. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

Ashka - i apologize but i still don't understand. Can you put it a little easier somehow? Thanks

5. crewrules101 macrumors member

To use the formula first locate the cell that you want your number x3 that you want to appear in, for example maybe C1. then locate the cell with the original value that you want multiplied, maybe A1. So then click on C1, and into that cell insert the "=" character. then before you do anything, click into A1, then type *3. then hit the enter/return button. You should now see the new multiplied value.

your formula should look something like this: "=A1*3"

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/attach/png.gif

Attached Files:

6. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, Crewrules101

I got your formula to work...... But what i want to do is only use 1 Cell. For example I want to enter 10 into A3 and get 30 - meaning what ever number is entered into A3 is multiplied by 3 automatically. I charge $3.00 per mile for a shuttle service and i could use 2 cells easily but i only want to use 1 cell for a clean looking sheet. Thanks for your help and understanding.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What? Two columns is too messy?

8. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry.. you don't approve of my opinion. But thank you for your interest.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I don't think it's possible. Each cell in any spreadsheet only holds a single type of data, and that's either a formula which evaluates when you exit the cell or a discreet value.

You can explore the macro side of things if you're desperate.

But really, the 'Miles' column is necessary in any spreadsheet. It's like the 'Hours' column for a handyman, the hourly cost may be fixed, but it's important to know the total time you spent on a job without having to divide by your hourly rate every time. UNLESS you have another spreadsheet which contains the main portion of your data, in which case you can easily reference another sheet.

10. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

If it is not possible... Can the 2nd (unneeded) cell be hidden so the only cell i see is the cell with the final total?

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I forgot to add that before, you can hide entire rows or columns by right clicking on the tab/title for the row/column and selecting 'Hide'. If you wanted to change the value, you will have to unhide it every time.

12. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I know you can hide stuff in Excel, but I've not used Numbers (as evidenced by the fact I didn't even know it was an app in my first post!). If all else fails, you can simply put the unneeded cell in a separate sheet. Of course, when you enter a number, you could also just multiply it outright during entry.

13. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

In Numbers just (left) click on the top of the column, hide is one of the options under the drop down arrow.
    S.

14. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone - i guess i am stuck with hiding the cell each time.

My next of many issues is.. can you have a drop down list for a cell?

i.e. column B is Trip Type - so i have 5 Categories (Westgate, Airport, U of P, Jobing or other)

When i do a trip can i have a drop down that allows me to pick one of the 5 categories? or will i have to type it in everytime?

15. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

There are better ways to do this ...

Hiding cells is OK, but it's probably best to avoid because it'll make it harder to go back and edit data. Plus, you'll have trouble entering data in a hidden cell. What might be better would be to create a data entry page and a data output page.

Select "Show Print View" under the Print menu.

With the page breaks visible, create the cells you need to generate the data you want. Put the formulas on page one. Then when you print, just print page one. For all intents and purposes, the data is "hidden"

BTW, if you're generating invoices, won't the customer want to know how many miles they paid for?

mt

16. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

+1 -- great answer.

17. jbuk macrumors regular

Yes. Select the column you want to contain the trip type, except from the top cell (where the title is). Then, open the inspector from the toolbar at the top of the numbers window, and then open the cells inspector. (It looks like a blue box with the number '42' in it).

Under 'Cell Format', choose 'Pop-up menu', and then in the box that appears below, delete the filler '1', '2', and '3' entries. After you have deleted the filler entries, you can add your own entries to the list. Be aware that all cells with the drop-down menu applied will automatically take the form of the top item in the list, so I like to type a single space character into the top item before entering the rest of the list. Once you've done that, you can select a single cell in the trip type column, and use the drop-down menu which appears beside it to choose the type of trip.

18. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

19. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This stuff isn't that hard. You'll be up and running in no time.

I would suggest, however, that you might want something where you have a series of columns, maybe something like:

Column A, date
    Column B, customer name
    Column C, miles driven
    Column D, Amt charged (miles driven*your rate per mile)

If you're ever audited or sell the business or want to expand or depreciate a vehicle, or whatever, records like the miles driven would be important.

mt

20. VIP Livery thread starter macrumors newbie

I like your ideas... how can i set the date & time for each entry. I am assuming it is the "now" formula but how is it set?

21. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Now will continue to reset itself (at least in excel) every time you open the document. So, I don't believe that it is what you want.