Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016
California
I'm using Apple Numbers to compile raw data into a markup language. I've discovered that Numbers is changing certain characters in string constants in my formulas when I go to edit them. I needed to change

=CONCATENATE("<!--the answer is 42-->")

into

=CONCATENATE("<!--the answer is ",G1,"-->")

After editing the formula, I discovered it is now:

=CONCATENATE("<!––the answer is ",G1,"––>")

This looks almost the same, but the minus signs have been changed into en-dashes! As I'm generating essentially program code, this won't work. Grrr!!! :mad:

It looks like the change happens when the formula is brought into the editing window. It also looks like strings shorter than some length stay unchanged. So I have a workaround of coding each dash as a single character string:

=CONCATENATE("<!","-","-","the answer is ",G1,"-","-",">")

BTW, I also observed a "/" in a longer string get changed into a divide sign.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Have a look in system preferences > keyboard > auto correct

There might be an option that turns two hyphens into a long dash - typographically correct, but no good for spreadsheets!

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2016
California
Have a look in system preferences > keyboard > auto correct

There might be an option that turns two hyphens into a long dash

I have everything like that turned off. No substitutions, no smart quotes, nothing!

Besides, the problem doesn't happen when typing. I can type in what I want and it will take it just fine. The formula will be working correctly for a long time. But when I double click to edit the formula, it gets changed on me.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
How about this option?

(Sorry if you've done this... I don't use Numbers or excel much!)
4bc1a640479a4d5c0e9912a52eab53fa.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.