Numbers: Is it possible to create this type of chart?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Meus Me, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Meus Me macrumors newbie

Is it possible to create a chart like below whereby the X/Y series values are not represented by colours but different types of lines?

[​IMG]

2. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Numbers is great when on the go but not a full replacement. I don't have an answer but as I've found when using numbers the best motto is to keep it simple.

3. sahnert macrumors 6502

here is a quick example I made. Is this what you're looking for?

I left the colors in, but you could make it monochromatic if you like.

Attached Files:

4. Meus Me thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I noticed there are only three different types of stroke. What about the category labels at the bottom? Anyway to change them to dashed/solid?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Numbers is a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets are greet for doing calculations. For charts, they are blunt instruments. The OP should use a dedicated charting application. The charting application, DeltaGraph, is specifically designed to graph data from Excel and to do heavily formatted presentation graphs. My favorite charting application is KaleidaGraph. It will easily replicate the look and feel of the OP's sample chart. Both applications will do science and engineering charts. In particular, the OP's chart is a double-Y line graph. DeltaGraph and KaleidaGraph will both do this kind of graph with aplomb.

There are many other charting applications available on the Mac, even a couple of freeware clones of the popular and expensive Windows science/engineering application Origin.

One should not overlook the $29.99 US wonder, OmniGraphSketcher from the OmniGroup. This application will produce graphs that have the look and feel of hand-drawn graphs produced by a professional graphic artist. Among is features is the ability to import data from Numbers.